is it possible to be a lone wolf

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by MisterSinister, Aug 17, 2017.

1. MisterSinister

MisterSinister New Member

Hi guys
    i was wondering if its possible for somebody like me to able to make game on his own someday.the games i like are point & click games like sybria and machinarium and rpg games like final fantasy ,final fantasy tactics, torchlight Baldurs gate and games similar to these.
    I have a good experience working with softwares like 3d max,zbrush and photoshop and going to take some drawing courses sometime in the near future too so that i cn manage visuals part of this process.
    but i have zero knowledge about the technical side of creating a game(i have no knowledge of any programming language or any engines at all) and thats the reason for this post.do think its wise or even possible to do these kind of games all on my own or should just focus on graphics and just be a good 3d/2d artist.
    sry for the english.
    thanks in advance

2. WildG

WildG New Member

LoneWolf here.
    Still working on my first game.
    www.universeatarms.com

Feel free to contact me if you want to chat.
    Discord: WildG#8861

Cheers

3. Chris Watkins

Chris Watkins New Member

Hey

If your like to chat get in touch and I'll give you what advise I've been given

Chris

Email - Watkins.chris@hotmail.co.uk
    Steam - Watkins.chris
    Discord - Watkins84 #9068

4. Melo

Melo New Member

It depends what you want to do with the game.
    Do want to make it just for you as a hobby or do you want to sell it / earn money with it.
    If you just want to do it as a hobby, go for it. It will take you a while until it will be somewhat playable but you will learn a lot.
    If you want to earn money with it you really should try to get a team. You won't get as good in programming or other stuff as someone who did this since years.

5. Scoper

Indie Author

Yes, it is quite possible to make a game all by yourself. But you will need technical skills as well as many other skills. But these skills can be learned and there are very good tutorials for complete beginners out there to get you started.
    But, like Melo wrote, if you want to make a commercially succesful game, that is extremely difficult to do alone. (With a strong team it is still very difficult.)

6. ShadowRider320

ShadowRider320 New Member

I think it is definitely possible, it would just take longer. The only way to really answer that question is, do you have the abilities to do all the jobs? Can you draw? Write? Code? Work the programs needed for the project? If you answered yes to all, then you totally can! Unfortunately, I'm not a good artist, so I would require an artist to complete my project.

CloudyHeavenGames likes this.
  7. RadicalBradical

RadicalBradical New Member

It certainly is possible, just as everyone has said! However, it would require excellent project management, art, and technical skills. It sounds like you definitely have the art skills and experience to do the art side of game development, so that's great! From what I know, programming is a whole different beast. Maybe try to be a part of a game development project as an artist first to see what the whole process is like and then, if you feel ready, take on your own project? Best of luck! :)

8. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Long story short: Yes.