iPhone app submission

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Xiotex, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Xiotex

Original Member

Anybody else go through the iPhone app submission process?

My first iPhone game is currently going through it and its like waiting for paint to dry...

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I'm not doing it myself but know people that do. It's really long. Also, you have no guarantee that your app is approved. Some devs never got their approved. Not sure the reason :eek:

3. Xiotex

Original Member

That's scary.

4. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

It takes approx 4-7 working days from my own experience to get an App onto the App store if you have no problems with the App itself (bugs etc).

If you need to further update the App then yes it can take a while. Took me 2 weeks and a reminder email to ADC to get the update looked at and then they found a bug in v2! Now it's going to take even longer to get the update out, plus now I am having a problem replacing the binary file, as the upload portal complains that the App bundle is already there? even though it all worked last time? doh!, just fired off another mail to ADC this morning to sort it out hopefully tho in actual fact my own particular problem goes a little deeper than this in truth.

In practice it is quite slow but they don't mess about and are quite 'anal' about what goes thru to the App Store in terms of working product now it seems.

Money is quite good so worth the wait (and work) IMHO - tho I did adwrap versions too as well (while it lasted) - another story all of it's own that bit :)

#4 Adrian Cummings, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  5. Xiotex

Original Member

Have you taken out an ADC subscription?

What happened with the adwrap stuff then - is it no longer allowed?

6. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I'm signed as a paid up iPhone developer if that's what you mean?

There were some 'teething' problems with adwrap that meant the adwrap version was removed by me (not Apple) from the App Store... I can't say more than that really other than it was an experiement that kind of went a bit wrong I guess, but it did very well revenue wise in the time it was live in that format.

Adwrap is allowed yes but still new'ish ground on iPhone and some consumers in the iPhone ecosystem don't like it at all it seems.

7. Xiotex

Original Member

No, I meant the ADC $4000 a year subscription that comes complete with 'support incidents'. I have sent emails to iPhone tech support without any replies - I assumed that was because I did not have a full ADC subsciption. I took out the $99 iPhone subscription as soon as I could.

8. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

No, I don't have the full sub just the basic one though they do respond I have found (if you poke them a couple of times!).

Currently I am awaiting some word from them regards how to upload an updated App for the 3rd time round because it just wont work now.

Also it is currently impossible to delete Apps - there is a way to do it but it's not ideal and does not delete the App - they told me they were working on it?... that was almost 2 weeks ago I think :)

Patience is required all round here methinks.

9. Xiotex

Original Member

Have you tried the app uploader? The current one is broken but the previous one works fine and is what I use.

10. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

This is all too circumspect. If I'm gonna invest time and money in the iPhone SDK I don't really need Apple telling me the app is not suitable - wtf is that all about! I guess we'll all go some other route! Btw iTorque want $1000 for the first license - and no guarantee that apple will publish. Monopolies and mergers anyone?

11. hooble

hooble New Member

I've just (today) started the submission process for the first time. I've submitted both a $0.99 version and an ad-supported free version of my game 'Origami Rose'. I don't expect the for-pay one to be available as soon as the free one though 'cause I haven't yet obtained/mailed all the necessary tax info.

I'll post back when the free one is approved and available. Also, Adrian is the one that did all the pretty graphics for me, and the initial prototype code that got me moving. He produced some great artwork for me, and I highly recommend his services if anyone in the future is thinking of working with him :)

12. Xiotex

Original Member

$1000 for bloatware? That's incredible.

To be honest I want Apple to refuse apps. If they don't then the store will be saturated with rubbish and it will be hard for people to find my game - same as XBLA is now. I don't know on what grounds they will refuse an app but I am guessing it won't be for stupid reasons like 'we just don't like it'.

13. Xiotex

Original Member

Is he cheap? :)

How does the ad service work? Is it much code to integrate and what are the monetary incentives - i.e. how much can you realistically expect to gain from it?

14. hooble

hooble New Member

Considering that this is my first iPhone application, and it's not out yet, I can't even begin to say what the revenue potential is. However, I'm using greystripe.com's AdWarp service, which works very well for me in the mobile Java space.

I expect the number of downloads for an iPhone app to exceed the downloads I get for a java version of the same game, so I am hoping that the revenue potential is even better than my current java releases. For now, it's just hope though.

As for integration, it's just 3 lines of code. 1) init, 2) show ads, 3) dealloc.

15. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Just to clear a few points up from above posts...

Apple only really vet App's for adult content etc. and of course bugs so there is no problem in truth writing pretty much what you like and publishing it on the App store?... same process you'd expect with any half decent 'family friendly' publisher really so no great problem there... this is not Nintendo or Sony red tape all over again ok :)

Money is good and steady on iPhone if you go the paid route and don't charge too much - adwrap is a 'very good' bonus but still has some teething problems until fixed in near future. Also it is 'possible' now that some items of content may not be as suitable for adwrap as others are, therefore the vetting problem will probably not arise with Apple but rather with the adwrappers to some degree regards this.

Yes I did port Hooble's game to iPhone as a prototype (well about 90% of it) but I am overloaded with work now and turned down 2 iPhone jobs/ports this week alone given there is only so much one can do in reality.

The process of talking to Apple to get things done is not as bad as it sounds in practice as I only wrote to them yesterday morning to sort out my own upload problem (replace binary and delete another App) and they have already sorted it out for me this morning.

It is a good platform, there is money in it and worth a look for the more serious developer who wishes to move into mobile without going the whole Java mobile route.

#15 Adrian Cummings, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  16. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

THank you Adrian, very informative.

17. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

No probs.

On attempting to upload the 3rd version of the software currently I'm stuck on 'Waiting for upload' on the portal... as pointed out earlier the bzip2 archive of the uploader tool dmg is broken so you can't upload anything when you reach this point at least.

I don't have any other versions of the tool so am now at the mercy of Apple to supply me a working one.

So I conclude they only 'half fixed' my particular problem(s) regards updating exsisting software on the App store and I've been trying to update it from August 10th! gotta laugh really else you'd cry LOL :)

Hope this all helps someone anyway or gives you and idea of what to expect at least.

18. Xiotex

Original Member

I have the older version - pm me if you want a copy.

19. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Cool! I just did! :)

20. Xiotex

Original Member

If anybody else needs it let me know. The current version is broken and there is a bug in app updating that means you will be forever stuck in a 'waiting to upload' loop.