iPad sales stats

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Grey Alien, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has any links to great iPad game sales stats, or would be willing to share their own?

Answers to some or all of these questions would be AWESOME!

1) Total development cost (if broken down into art, code, music etc that’s even better)
    2) Date launched
    3) Position reached in main chart (any sub-chart positions e.g. genre would be great)
    4) Units Sold and Unit Price
    5) Net Revenue from Apple. Monthly figures (or better) would be ideal.
    6) Is there a Lite Version? When was that launched.
    7) Does the game contain micro-transactions? How well are they doing?
    8) Anything else pertinent? e.g. game rating.

For each game, knowing the name and genre is important.

If you don't want to post publicly, feel free to PM me! Thanks in advance.

I aim to share my iPad stats later in the year when I have a game out there. I'll also share my XBLIG stats soon.

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I wonder why more people aren't targeting javascript and micro-transactions on the iPad?

3. Applewood

I'll post my stats for Great Little War Game later in the year, unless we get a publishing deal we're kinda half pushing on with still which doubtless comes with a vow of silence.

We're going for some micro-t action too, with downloadable mini-campaign extensions and speech packs as the plan for now.

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

@Applewood: Sounds like it would make a very interesting sales stats post.

5. NicolasGB

NicolasGB New Member

I've been meaning to post a similar thread. I'm just starting to look at the iPad market, does anyone know how games are performing on the iPad ? What's a bad/medium/good/hit performance?
    Is there any kind of sales stats anywhere ?

Some users of this thread threw around the figure of 10% when compared to iPhone sales.

edit : I also just stumbled upon this website: http://www.appannie.com/top/ipad/united-states/games/
    It doesn't have sales stats though, just charts.

#5 NicolasGB, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. filharvey

Original Member

The old game I had out on the iPhone, I quickly converted. UI increased, Play area increased but not changes to gameplay. I see that the iPad is selling about 1 in 6 compared to the iPhone.

But price is at $4.99 instead of $1.99. It is selling about 20 units a day, where the iPhone version is selling 120 a day.

Phil

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Thanks for the info everyone. Seems like not making an iPhone version too could loose a huge amount of revenue, sigh. I just don't like the form-factor of the device but it's hard to ignore the potential sales.

NicolasGB: That chart makes pretty easy reading thanks.

8. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Technically, it is dead simple to create an IPhone version from an IPad one.
    I just converted both my IPads game on the Iphone.

The problem is obviously the tiny size screen. And you will probably have to redesign a couple of things. Luckily for me, I had to only increase the font size and some icon size. I strech the res to fit the Iphone aspect ratio (it is hard to notice even for me).

The first one hit the store just today, so I can't tell you much about the sales number compared to the IPad version. The second on is still in beta testing. But it was so fast to convert (about 5 days for converting both games) that the time spent will definitely be paid back.

Now, I must say that I always though that the game couldn't be played on the iphone screen. But after making a quick test I was really surprised that it is playable and enjoyable.

If you target IPad, you should try to iphone too. But you might have to design the game with that in mind from the start.

JC

9. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Great advice thanks. OK definitely will bear in mind. Also the game has to run on slow 3Gs I guess too, so mustn't be too intensive.

10. voodooshaman

Original Member

Can anyone confirm if Apple requires all iPhone gams to support all prior released hardware? The 1st iPhone didn't support OpenGLES2.0; so that would be a bugger if you had to support both. I'm guessing they probably don't care as long as it runs on the latest hardware.

11. jcottier

jcottier New Member

You can specify whitch hardware is supported. So, yes, you can create an only Opengl2 App.

JC

12. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Did you resolve your <60FPS on iPad, issue?

13. Applewood

Nope! We're consistently getting >30 now and I think the rest is down to the fact that we're actually rendering quite a lot of stuff. It certainly feels fast enough, especially when twitch responses aren't a requirement.

We binned the shader pipeline and went back to fixed function, mainly to support older iPhones, and the speed shot up from ~15-18 to ~30-35. This despite us knowing all about optimising GL shaders and stuff. I think there's something broken in their driver tbh. FFP should be suboptimal if the shader pipe is really working properly as the best an FFP solution could come up with can only draw level, in theory.

14. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Well, I would think 30FPS is perfectly fine for 3D. Most users won't even realise it's an issue (it's just something techie people might notice). Still, sounds like something fishy was going on there!

Will look forward to seeing the finished thing.

15. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Oops I posted in the wrong thread.

16. Applewood

Thanks Jamie, I do hope you're right. It really flies on the iPhone which might well be our biggest market anyway.