Invidia 422AC - the first game with all religions

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by loki, May 17, 2011.

1. loki

loki Guest

Hi! im a new indie game developer and im here to present the first puzzle-city builder hybrid and the first game with all religions. it is also the first BIG commercial game made with construct.
    [​IMG]
    its been 1 month now and almost all of the artwork and design is complete, all that is left is to assemble everything and make the event system, and with some luck im hoping for a release date until the end of june.
    either way the game will be released within some months in the worst case.
    there is going to be a preview on gamezebo.com this week where you can learn everything about the game, but im still here to answer any questions you may have.
    im probably going to enter the indie game awards with it, and proud of that.

the game features 22 religions, 54 building cubes, a big random event system and a stock trade system.
    if you every wanted to have simcity422 but in a puzzle form instead of a 3d thats pretty much it, as far as one man can do it.
    there are 3 major factions in the city, the early stonemasons, the crusader templars and snake cults.
    you have a couple of locations in europe to choose from with different conditions and events and the game offers repetitive play.

one time you may find the arc of the covenant and kill the pope
    one time you may find the seal of solomon and open a portal to hell
    one time you may get eaten by a dragon

if we leave the magical relics im trying to make the game as close to possible to historic events (making appearance in the game) and even having the power to change some events or recreate them.
    afcourse when you start you have the power to change the future so anything can happen.
    the game uses a big shiny puzzle to represent its buildings in the city, so here is some more artwork and ill be happy to answer whatever questions.

there are around 3 distributors interested in the game and im hoping to get successfull with atleast 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. desmasic

Original Member

This game has something to do with nVidia? (just curious)

Other than that, shouldn't the religions be positioned as Biggest > Smallest > Obsolete?

3. loki

loki Guest

well no, invidia is just latin for envy, and envy can be used to drive you to do great things.
    faiths are all faiths, and as a ruler of your new city/country you can pick which religion you wish, even though some religions were bigger its still choice.
    here is the list of the official religions
    budhism
    confucionism
    druids
    eastern orthodox
    egypt
    gnostic
    goddes
    greek
    hinduism
    islam
    jainism
    judaism
    manichaeism
    norse pagan
    norse
    roman
    satanism
    shinto
    sumerian (babylonian/mesopotopian - the gods from the spell book necronomicon(iran area))
    taoism
    wicca
    witchcraft

and each religion has its own religios buildings

4. Arkadesh

Original Member

What's the difference between norse and norse pagan? Also manicheism is one of gnostic religions, so I see a bit of confusion here.

5. loki

loki Guest

yes there is machinaesm and gnosticism, i figured there should be choice to go with machinaeism if the player wants, even if its still gnosticism.
    now that you mentioned i really havent read alot about norse paganism, but i figure there is alot of difference in gods and it somehow connects to earlier cults, so its a choice too.
    the difference in every religion is afcourse what religious buildings you get, and what events happen.
    events are kinda like a choose your adventure book, and they can have an affect in other events later in the game.
    norse afcourse is pure, and focuses on the norse gods

there is a "goddess" religion, a devision of the wiccan and pagan religions where they worship women gods and the feminine side

af course the main goal of the game is the make people interested and to educate them about beliefs, how all religions have something thats the same and connect to each other, and just to open their mind to the whole history.
    ive been having a hard time these past few days, but i better start hard working again, almost all the interface is done, just some religios building cubes left. ive been making pretty building cubes until now, dont wanna rush and make everything ugly.
    i would be happy to answer more questions

6. Arkadesh

Original Member

Well I think there is no difference between norse and norse paganism. Of course there are some differences if by norse paganism you mean modern asatru - but I don't think asatru followers would react well if you told them their way isn't true norse way. If you need some more religions then you have missed at least one important - zoroastrianism. Also why is there eastern orhtodox but no roman catholicism? Sorry to be picky, but history of religions is my education background, so I notice such incosistencies quickly.

7. loki

loki Guest

thats allright, after all im trying to include all faiths. there is roman catholicism, it is the first flag on the picture, turns out it was formed closely before 422, so just in time, strange i forgot to write it in the list.
    well the norse pagans will have to forgive me, i really havent read into their religions to know. either way every religions starts equal in the game. even if egyptian religion is over, since you are the ruler of the city you can choose any faith.
    i will have to look into zoroastrianism, never heard of it, maybe i could include it

8. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Why AC and not the more traditional AD?

9. Arkadesh

Original Member

Well, if you want to include ALL faiths you got a lot to do. There are many more pagan faiths than just Norse paganism and vanilla Norse religion (whatever that would be): for example Slavic and Greek pagan religions. Then you have left out all the American religions (especially the mesoamerican ones are interesting if you want spectacular buildings). And what about Africa and shamanism? Where's voodoo?

10. loki

loki Guest

i actually saw "AC" somewhere and forgot that people usualy use "AD" but it still means "after christ" so i guess it stands out nicely and it just happened this way.
    im really bummed about forgeting shamanism, thats seems to be the cradle of all magic and should be in. i still have snake cults in the city as a faction who can represent some religions but thats just an excuse.
    i guess its too much and im just going to be forced to include more religions in Invidia 2, it would probably be a bigger and commercial game made with programmers this time.

i will tell you about the needs& resources ingame
    and i will also tell you that a dead black crow falled on my balcony and then dissapeared, also barbeques started combusting on fire.

food, medicine and water are the main thing your houses needs to survive. you cant sell them.
    houses on the other hand give you gold income, but not as much as resource trading.
    faith is an element which is filled and it affects how gods react in the game, and elements.
    you have for resources:
    GOLD
    WOOD
    DIAMONDS
    CLOTHES
    SPICES
    ORE
    with gold being the major central currency, others value will change like a stock market.

11. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think it's funny that you used "After Christ" in the title, but didn't include Christianity as a religion! :)

12. loki

loki Guest

but there is eastern orthodox and roman catholicism, both are christian religions. there are also christian relics, and the roman empire plays a major role?
    im sitting here watching "predator 2" and its a clear sign that i should include the shamanism religion, so i guess...

13. electronicStar

Original Member

Are there any other commercial games made in construct? I think this might be the first.

14. loki

loki Guest

there is my first game GASMAN FF, but maybe there is one other, ive only heard about it.

15. electronicStar

Original Member

Is it construct classic or Construct2 ?
    Did you get any hardware problems or anything?
    I am terrified about the idea of doing anything commercial in construct because I've made a few freeware games with it (classic version) and there is always sthg that ends up not working out of the blue.

16. loki

loki Guest

classic construct. hardware problems dont happen if you include a directx distro with your game (havent read about legal issues yet)
    its a great tool for 2d games, and as long as you have a nice idea and graphic art/sounds it works perfectly. (marketing on the other hand is a different thing) there are also free install compilers.
    if they make the construct 2 for iphone game i will probably continue to use it, or move to a 3d tool

17. desmasic

Original Member

I was going to use Construct for my game as well but I switched to GameMaker in the end. Construct is a better package than GameMaker when it comes to tools provided but in the end, GameMaker has already been used for commercial games and is stable when it comes to performance (helps that it has bigger userbase). Construct 2 looks great but so is the next GameMaker (cross platform + HTML5).

18. loki

loki Guest

yea well sadly i feel like i have to program half the game with code if i use gamemaker, and i dont have the brain to study programming anymore.
    construct uses a great event system, its still pretty buggy and the community is not very welcoming but it will do the job.
    actually this game will strain what construct does to the ultimate

19. loki

loki Guest

i would to share with you another part of the development of Invidia 422AC.
    the trade-market window for trading resources and keeping track of town needs.
    [​IMG]

20. loki

loki Guest

ive made my first little video and im sharing it here

#20 loki, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015