Introducing FontGrabber

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Beeno1974, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Beeno1974

Beeno1974 New Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce you to FontGrabber. This is an easy to use tool useful for creating and exporting cool fonts for your games. It supports various features such as gradient filling (including metalic effects), adding drop shadows, outlines and edges. Combining all these options gives you the ability to come up with thousands of variations. Here's an example font export:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above images are unmodified 32bit images as saved from FontGrabber. The soft drop shadow (in the first image) and the outline (in the second) are included in the images and will come through as semi-transparent overlays on the background, as you would expect.

In addition to exporting the font characters as an image (with character details in an xml file), you can also use the Text Sampler to type the text using your customized font and export an image in 24/32bit for use in your games. Here are 2 examples of this taken from our website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above images were exported on a black background, but it could just aswell have been a 32bit image with no background. It's all up to your needs.

If you'd like to try it for yourself, why not go and download the free trial from our homepage:

http://www.dimension25.com/FontGrabber.aspx

Please note that the Microsoft .net Framework 2 is required to run FontGrabber however you will not need it to use FontGrabber exports and images in your own games. Secondly, FontGrabber uses the fonts on your system to create its magic. If you wish to use fancy fonts as shown in our examples, you'll need the actual true-type font. Fortunately there are thousands of free fonts on the Internet and available for purchase on CDs and in stores. For licensing reasons we do not distribute fonts with FontGrabber. Of course, once you have exported the font using FontGrabber, you have no need to distribute the true-type font to your users.

Happy FontGrabbing!
    Bernhard Rohl
    www.dimension25.com

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

This looks really good. Downloading now.

3. Applewood

Generally looks very nice - good bit of Photoshop layout blagging :)

Some problems/suggestions:

1) There's no option to snap each character to the top/left of a constant sized per character rectangle that those of us doing our own shrink-wrapping really need.

2) I think there should be a "x through y" ascii generation option that overides the other character set selection methods.

3) Changing colour and a few other options didn't seem to automatically refresh the view. In fact my red filled font is still grey no matter what I do to it. Is this disabled in trial ? If it is, I reckon you should undo it as it feels like a bug.

4) For me personally to buy this, I'd need TGA output too

4. Beeno1974

Beeno1974 New Member

Suggestions

Hi Applewod,

Thanks for the comments. I'll see what I can do about your suggestions.

Just a note, all the features are turned on, except for the trial limit on the type of font and sizes. One thing that may catch you out is if you select a 3 pixel edge and the font is thin. In this case the edge will completely replace the font fill as this is an inner edge. That is not an error. Not sure if that's your problem in this case though.

If you do feel that you're getting a problem with that, please send me a snapshot so I can see your settings and what you get.

Do have a look in the installation folder as there are a whole lot of sample fonts that you can load.

Your first comment about fixed width/height on fonts is definitely possible. I'll have a look at it. The exported .fgrab file includes all details for you to render the characters. The reason this method was chosen is because fonts are generally not fixed width anymore. Still, you're probably not the only person with this requirement.

What kind of TGA formats do you use? 32bit with alpha?

5. Applewood

Yep, full strength 32 bit with alpha is fine - it's just a convenience thing really.

I figured there'd be yummy stuff in the fgrab file for character extents, but that will take extra loading on 360 unless it's text format as there's an endian issue. Of course I prepare characters for proportional spacing, but I get the app to do it when it loads them - only takes a millisecond or two and saves having another file hanging around. I'll add kerning one day but that would also need to go in the single extra file I don't really want iyswim.

Don't take my little niggles the wrong way though, I think this is very close to being a stellarly useful tool.

6. kjm

kjm New Member

Very nice app.

And very useful too.

This is definately something i would consider buying.

One minor crit, would be that the color selection seemed a bit basic.

I much prefer a paint shop pro type of approach. A color circle surrounding a square of selected color gradient, along with a basic color selection box, which is what you have now.

This is probably only because i've used psp for so long that your color selection seems quite basic by comparison.

I also agree that 32bit alpha .tga support is a must.

Overal, a well designed and useful app.

Well done.

KJM