indiegamer favicon

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by oNyx, Jun 1, 2008.

1. oNyx

Original Member

#1 oNyx, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. Bad Sector

Original Member

I like B :). Not the best from an aeshetic point of view, but it does stand out :).

3. Ratboy

Original Member

I'd go with B. It's clean and readable.

4. oNyx

Original Member

>Not the best from an aes[t]hetic point of view, but it does stand out :).

Well, 16x16 pixels doesn't give one much room and the only hint of CI is the custom header graphic here. So, I'd to use that. The 'G' character looks a bit different, because I had to condense it a bit. There surely is enough room to make that middle part of the 'G' shorter, but that looks sorta inconsistent.

Hm. Alright... this one is slightly better than B:

D [url--- obsolete ---/url]

Looks quite a bit smoother, doesn't it? :)

#4 oNyx, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

What is a favicon ?

6. oNyx

Original Member

>What is a favicon ?

A small graphic shown in the address bar, next to the site's name in lists of bookmarks, and on tabs. They are very important for tabbed browsing, because it's the only (directly) visible thing if many tabs are open.

You can try this one for Rubicon Dev:
    http://kaioa.com/k/rid.ico (it's just a quick n dirty resampled version of your logo)

Rename it to "favicon.ico" and put it into the root dir of your site. Then clear the browser's cache and refresh. Then you should be able to see it.

7. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Ah, ok. Cool.

Thanks muchly :)

8. Pyabo

Original Member

The iG is OK, but still pretty bland...

What about using the light bulb from DayDream's IndieAuthor badge?

9. ChrisP

Indie Author

I like that idea!

10. oNyx

Original Member

>What about using the light bulb from DayDream's IndieAuthor badge?

If you take it as it is and resize it, it looks pretty much like a fried egg. The contrast is also too low for that size. One would have to redo it from scratch. Or if it's a vector, export it at the required size and touch it up a bit.

Personally I think a light bulb is somewhat corny. It's not like we share the greatest ideas all day long or anything like that. And there is also that thing that "innovation" usually means about 5% new stuff when it comes to any kind of entertainment.

Well, apart from the logo in the top left it's the only piece of sort-of CI we got here. But as I see it it doesn't really trigger the right association. A hammer (=crafting) for example would work better for me. But then again there is no direct/obvious connection.

In cases like this it's better to go with acronyms, I'd say. Often they are already used by some members and they also instantly make sense in general.

Either way it would be great to see some other suggestions. (By that I mean some actual icons.)

11. princec

Indie Author

FWIW I like "B".

Cas :)

12. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

What about, instead of using the light bulb from the badge, just have 'IG', but with the same font and styling as per the badge?

13. Spore Man

Indie Author

I vote for A

14. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I like 3c, but I'd like it better with some pseudo-aliasing at the corners so you don't get that jagged pixel. I mean, just make the white pixel at the corner 10% grey and the ones next to it like 70% or something, instead of 0 and 100.

15. oNyx

Original Member

Right. Fixed the antialiasing. B and C now contain 2 versions (32bit and 8bit).

I used the ICO plugin from sibcode this time. Seems to be a tad nicer. It also handles bundling of different versions and 32bit stuff also works.

I also switched from pixeling over to vectors. That made it far easier to get the antialiasing right. If anyone else feels like giving it a whirl here are the SVGs:
    http://kaioa.com/svg/ig.svgz
    http://kaioa.com/svg/ig2.svgz (same with viewbox)

The 8bit versions were made by blending against white and then magic-wand delete with a tolerance of 127.

16. ChrisP

Indie Author

B is snazzy. :)

17. fog4711

Original Member

I find B smart and stylish :cool: . C is IMO ok :) . Please don't choose A :eek:

-----------------------------------------------
    some of my stuff

18. oNyx

Original Member

A was indeed pretty bad. The gloss gradient was the wrong way around by accident... I fixed that. I also added some soft outline stuff for improved contrast and some outer edge voodoo. It looks very slick on tabs now. I even like it a bit more than B now.

Quick comparison:
    http://kaioa.com/k/igontabs.png

19. MrGoldfish

Original Member

I choose C. It's like B but with a chunky border! It's all about the chunky border for me!! :)

20. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Definitely C for me, now that the corners are properly rounded. Glossy gradients are tacky, and B doesn't have enough visual weight for such a small icon. I'd go for B if it was for a desktop icon or something bigger like that, but MrGoldfish is right... you need something chunky and bold to stand out against a tab at that tiny size.