In-game advertising for desktop games

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by plicatibu, Sep 25, 2011.

1. plicatibu

plicatibu New Member

Hi, friends.

One way to make money with mobile and flash games is with advertising. There are many enterprises offering SDKs to show ads on you apps and games. For instance, AdMob, InMobi and Mochi.

But I didn't find anyone for Desktop games and applications.

I'm wondering: Is In-game advertising available for desktop games?

In affirmative case could you please tell which one are available and tell me a little about your experience with this way of revenue?

Regards.

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm not sure if there are any, but I would guess not because there's no way to make money at it. Mobile advertising can be quite lucrative because you can easily serve millions of impressions a day. How many PC games could claim that, especially indie ones? Not many I'll wager and those that could already earn their authors a shitload without ads.

3. plicatibu

plicatibu New Member

Thanks for your answer.

But the same happens with flash games,isn't it? How many of them have millions of users? Any way, it seems that everything now is moving away from desktop to web / mobile.

Best Regards.

4. Nexic

Indie Author

Honestly don't get why people are even using ads. Micro transactions will easily earn you 10x more.

5. mwtb

Original Member

I'd guess that many people would say that their game isn't suited to micro-transactions. Not every design offers a platform to sell the player a virtual hat or way to progress faster.

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Lots of them get millioons of plays - there's a whole micro-climate around flash. Many more won't but they're often made by cowboys and add adverts just because they can and net about 5 bucks a year I'm sure. :)

I'm not a flash guy though and the impression I get is that this is also drying up anyway. Presumbably by advertisers seeing the size of market and reducing the payments per view/click.

7. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

There is TrialPay that might be interesting. I haven't tried it yet, but I read at least one good comment here on the forum. It looks like a compromise between the ad and the sale. People can still buy your game directly or get it for free if they subscribe to the offer. It probably pays more than just simple ads.

8. plicatibu

plicatibu New Member

TrialPay seems very interesting. I'm going to check it carefully.

Regards.