In 2012 I will....

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Applewood, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

I've had progress, not all of it good.

I trashed the Sudoku project I spent a year on. I got a very lukewarm response from a handful of diehard Sudoku fans. I tried three variations but none was popular. I did introduce them to tredoku, a really neat 3D variation by an Israeli mathematician. I made someone else money on that one.

I keep picking up my match-three project because I like the idea and mechanic, then drop it when I realize they haven't been popular in years, then pick it up, then drop it. I am currently in a drop it phase.

In the rest of 2012, I wil...

1) Complete the word game I started and cancelled in 2011.

2. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Word games are even less popular than match-3 games... so you might want rethink your priorities ;-)

3. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Or just reduce your ROI
    i.e. knock something up quickly to see what the market is like?

4. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

HAHAHA. I'm doomed!

5. electronicStar

Original Member

well thanks to things like kickstarter and greenlight,it seems that even niche PC games have become a rat race nowadays...
    Bah...
    Anyway I have been following my plans mostly and been trying to find a cool and easy graphic style instead of using rush jobs/programmer art with mixed style, I have also been exploring the concepts of rationalization applied to gamedev , because I am realizing how being a solo dev is a recipe for failure.

6. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

post mortem of 2012

So, are we going to post-mortem analyse 2012 in this thread? Or do we open a post-2012 thread, and then another 2013 predictions thread? I think Applewood should start them again. My 2012 was AMAZING, so I am itching to report back.

7. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I say start the 2013 thread and report your 2012 results and then your 2013 predictions...

8. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Has anybody started the 2013 thread? 2012 Aftermath for me:

* release 4 games (will be a fail if 2012 is like 2011 though) -> 3, so almost a success
    * increase my income -> did that!! 2012 was my second best year after 2010

Not too shabby overall then. :)