In 2011 I will...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by SteveZ, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Soon you're going to run out of platforms to port that game!! :D

2. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Sure. In fact I have the game I want to make/play half done, but I also need to pay the bills (and I don't think this game would be that successful - or at least I can't take the risk). So as Jack says, it's more of a business now.

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I was having a lot of fun at the start of Dungeon Brawl - things are dragging a little bit. Part of what was fun was how quickly things were happening. 3.5 years on one project is too long for me (been there).

4. Dri

Dri New Member

My goals for 2010 were achieved, we released our first game... the sales are not good, but... hey we did it!

So for 2011:
    • Keep focusing on school, it's not time to mess things up
    • Continue to support Reckless Squad and try to have it on more portals (D2D, Impulse, etc.)
    • Finish and release my new game for Windows Phone 7
    • Re-use the engine to make another one for XBLIG with different assets/story
    • Continue to practice art and doing some "R&D stuff"

If I can do at least those things, it will be a good year! :)

5. Grey Alien

Indie Author

OK here's mine (and soon I'll do a post mortem of my 2010 goals):

1) Have great fun making Indie games for the entire year.
    2) Do some design consultancy for backend royalties. (contact me if you are interested)
    3) Make at least $100K (I'll aim relatively low for my first year back in the driving seat).
    4) Build up the Vancouver Indie Meetup into something even more awesome.
    5) Finish my Toastmasters CC manual (4 speeches to go) - I took a break when things got crazy earlier in the year.
    6) Keep fit and beat my Grouse Grind time of 56 mins.
    7) Go to Hawaii
    8) Have an awesome Spring/Summer with my family in Vancouver and go on some roadtrips.
    9) Move back to the UK and have some money in the bank when I arrive.

6. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

In 2011 I will..
    • Finish our online strategy game, The Battle For Trinity, and release it to an unsuspecting Facebook
    • Finally earn enough to survive without soul destroying and will sapping contract work
    • Finish and release our latest MMOSG.
    • Go to an indie meet

But will most likely end up the same as Applewood...

Iain

7. Olofson

Original Member

Well, as it turned out, my former employer is no more. Negotiations went nowhere, so I guess I'm leaving that industry (lab instruments) - and that's probably just as well, as I was sick and tired of it all after those last few years. In fact, I just can't bring myself to working as an employee again. I basically just spent too many years selling my time and energy, only to end up with pretty much nothing. I actually saw it coming, but I was too stupid to get out. :rolleyes:

So, this is what I'll be doing in 2011:
    More specifically, I plan on opening up the Kobo II Alpha Program as soon as I have something fun and playable, and see how it turns out. If the response is promising, I'll keep working full time on that, obviously. If not, I'll try my lab industry connections and do some consulting work to make ends meet.

Finally wrapping up Kobo Deluxe (fixing some details, improve the menu system, creating proper music, ...) is also on the list, but obviously not top priority, as my options for making any money out of that are limited. (It does generate a fair bit of traffic, though - and, well, Kobo II... :))

Behind the scenes here are various sub-projects (EEL, ZeeSpace, Audiality etc) some of which might eventually end up as Open Source middleware with proprietary authoring tools or something. No detailed plans there though, as these are primarily just my in-house tools, and rather odd ones at that. I've never really focused on making them accessible to "normal" people. ;)

As to figures, if I make SEK 150 000 ($22 000) (total, pre tax) in 2011, I'll be "OK", but my goal is to be up to SEK 27 000/month ($4000) before 2012.

8. papillon

Indie Author

Get the first game in the Magical Diary series out.

Attempt to connect the game to website things that people will want to share, thus making the game viral and taking over the world. Which may mean eventually investigating Facebook integration as well... I've been reluctant to do it but I should at least look into the possibility.

9. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Here's my 2010 list:
    1) Fail (still in progress though)
    2) Fail (took house off the market because the market sucks right now)
    3) Fail (honestly didn't give this one much effort because I spent too much time on #1)

In 2011, I will:
    1) complete my 2010 #1
    2) have a baby boy (due in May)
    3) stop making lists that have at least 3 items

10. Uhfgood

Original Member

...Make enough money to get my teeth fixed.

11. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Hey I finished my orthodontic treatment this year, but not the dentist claims I need to spend thousands more on root canals etc. I may wait until I return to the UK and try to get it done cheap on the NHS.

12. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

1) No longer delete spam from indiegamer.com

thus enabling me to:

2) Not die

3) Learn to animate properly

4) Work on game (wont be finished in 2011 though).

13. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

It never ends! :)

But yeah, unless there's something cool about a platform, I'm probably going to skip it.

14. SteveZ

Indie Author

As tough as it is to stick to one game, with that kind of profit and growth isn't retirement just a few years away ;)

15. dannthr

dannthr New Member

...I will double my business.

16. andrew

andrew New Member

My goals for 2011:

1. Escape the constant mindless drudgery of contract work
    2. Get Mytheria 2 out the door
    3. Make $100K, where none of that came from contract work (see #1)
    4. Port something to Android for the experience

- andrew

17. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

My goals:

1) Finish Dirk Dashing 2 (should be easy to achieve)
    2) Finish at least one other new game (should also be possible)
    3) Double my existing customer base (much more challenging, but not necessarily impossible)

18. Escapee

Original Member

In 2011, I will try to

1) Maintain sites traffic at current level.
    2) Release 2 flash games.
    3) Contribute more into charity.
    4) Visit the great wall of China. ("He who has not climbed the Great Wall is not a true man" :D )

5) Acquire a property at mountain area as a precaution against 2012 style Tsunami or as a place for vacation. :D

Previous Year

#38 Escapee, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  19. meds

meds New Member

In 2011 I will:

1) Beat Angry Birds to the punch on WP7

2) Haven't thought that far ahead, if all goes according to 1 that will be all I need then will follow the cartoon tie in, merchandising, Ferraris and beautiful women.. also a tiger.

20. Nexic

Indie Author

Yeh it could well be. Unfortunately this is a classic case of money vs enjoying your job. Sticking with the same game for another 2-3 years probably makes the most financial sense. But emotionally, I'm desperate for a change. I think I may have to find some kind of middle ground.