Im looking for guidance

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Lee-1701-x, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Lee-1701-x

Lee-1701-x New Member

I will try to keep this short and sweet.
    I have a game I want to make, I have something like 60-70% of the needed documentation done.
    I want to make my game in Unreal, I have no ide what I am doing in Unreal.
    I need to have some kind of resource where I can ask direct questions of "how to" and get direct answers.
    Tutorials dont help me because I learn by doing first then the explanation of how it works, not the other way around. (show me how to use the hammer then explain the physics behind it)

I want to do as much of the work on my own as I can, but I am no fool as I know I will have to eventually get people to help me at some point, but for now I want to do what I can first.

2. darthdeus

darthdeus New Member

I would say to just start here. I know it's not the advice you want, but there is no ultimate perfect pathway to just "get good" at gamedev. There's no perfect resource that'll take exactly the way you want to learn and feed you the perfect information.

Not all tutorials are like that. Here's an example of a great Unreal tutorial that basically explain everything about blueprints

I'd say you just need to start "doing it". Don't look for the right way, just start with what you know. If you get stuck, look at documentation and tutorials. When you get tired of watching/reading those go back to doing things. Keep repeating until a few years later you'll know what you're doing.

Lee-1701-x likes this.
  3. Lee-1701-x

Lee-1701-x New Member

Yeah I kind of figured as much.
    I just want to make a simple prototype for my game and see if it leads anywhere, all the studying I have done for the types of game, content etc tells me that this would be one A LOT of people would probably like.
    Thank you for your advice, I will see what I can do.

4. darthdeus

darthdeus New Member

If you want to build a simple prototype maybe look at other engine options. Unreal definitely takes some time to get going, and if you just want something small, other engines would be a lot faster and easier at that.

Lee-1701-x likes this.
  5. Lee-1701-x

Lee-1701-x New Member

The game concept, I would say is bigger than Skyrim.
    I did that for practice as I do aspire to be a game designer and I feel that Unreal would be the better option for the engine.
    Sadly I do have some leaning issues and that can make things .... challenging, most of all when I dont learn the same way other people do.

I need direct instructions, A and B.

6. NeptuneGames

NeptuneGames New Member

Let me say that knowing what you're doing, is the most important thing. When I was starting out in Unreal, I was copying guides step-by-step -and didn't realize what I was doing. That ended up being a problem later on.

Try to understand the logic behind the software. In this way, you'll soon be able to find creative solutions to accomplish what you don't find in the guides. Seriously: you'll be surprised by how many things you can create just by knowing a few Blueprint nodes.

Lee-1701-x likes this.
  7. Lee-1701-x

Lee-1701-x New Member

Lets just say I learn differently.
    I cant have the explanation of how things works first, I need the directions of how to do it then explain it.

Lets say I want to make a squad, I need to have something that tethers the squad to my character like in Left 4 Dead as example.
    They can move around etc etc but will not willingly leave X distance, they will always stay at least so close.

If I had the directions of lets say "options - character commands - follow - distance max - distance - min" then explain how it works.

even if I dont understand the actual what and why it works, I would know how to do it and could eventually learn later.

8. NeptuneGames

NeptuneGames New Member

Sure, if you learn better by doing as you said, go on and do it.
    But get to work and learn now. Don't wait till you have every guide you need: you'll figure things out along the way.

Lee-1701-x likes this.
  9. Lee-1701-x

Lee-1701-x New Member

Oh trust me, this is not something that I am just letting go, I am clicking things here and there and acting like a caveman playing with a warp core.

but there are some things that I will need to have someone explain to me, maybe even step by step.