IGF voting through Gamespot?!

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by cyrus_zuo, Feb 16, 2005.

1. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Have to say I'm not crazy about this one at all...it will only lead to Alien Hominid being voted for over all the other games b/c that is what that crowd already knows...much the same as the sham of Savage getting the audience award last year when you had to fight to get to see Facade...very disappointed in the direction (not disappointed in having IGF stuff on gamespot...but the voting itself...)

http://www.gamespot.com/igf/index.html

2. Gmicek

Original Member

Well, it's only for the Audience Award.

3. KNau

Original Member

Hmmm...could they have possibly picked a less indie oriented site for the voting? And to have console/FPS fanboys doing the voting?! Thank god the awards aren't actually relevant in any way ;)

4. Coyote

Indie Author

When I was in the retail games industry ("big business"), it always felt like the IGF (which was a fledgling deal at the time) was more of a "throwing a bone to the wannabes" type event. It seemed like the entire purpose of the IGF was to get these guys a job with a major studio.

Maybe my perception was wrong, and maybe times have changed. I'd seriously consider entering a game in the future, if for no other reason than a little extra advertising. But it's still hard for me to take it too seriously. It feels like what you'd get if the MTV Movie Awards had independent movie categories.

5. Gmicek

Original Member

I've always felt the same way Coyote. What's more, this time of year has always striken me as the time when the gaming media goes about their annual "see, we do care about games other than the huge releases" by assigning a writer or two to cover the event. It's like how radio stations always do toy and clothes drives around Christmas to accomplish their 'giving back to the community' requirements. So when people moan about the lack of coverage for the little guy they can point out their annual IGF coverage and claim to actually care about that sort of thing.

As far as the decision to host it on Gamespot, well, at least it's not Gamespy or IGN. I'd take Gamespot over the rest any day.

#5 Gmicek, Feb 16, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Has anyone expressed these concerns to the IGF directly? Especially specific things like the voting through GameSpot?

7. BongPig

Indie Author

Whats the problem with mainstream gamers voting on indie games? I would have thought this is a good thing. Mainstream gamers asked to vote on games many of them ever knew existed. This might just be the kind of thing to get these gamers to take a look at some indie games. Is that so bad? ... somebody help me out here. What exactly is the problem?

8. Andy

Original Member

Good question Mike. I can add only - what is the option - make the voting at Real or BigFish? :)

But we are out the list anyway - so just my two cents....

9. queasy

Original Member

@BongPig
    I don't think it's a problem with the people, but more of what cyrus_zuo said:

If the average gamer loves (let's say) alien hominid, do you think that person will go out of their way to download all 9 of the other contestants (in each category) and then play them just to see if it really is the best game?

-j

10. BongPig

Indie Author

Fair enough point queasy, but then who should do the voting?

And although I do agree that many voters might go for Hominid without even looking at the others, surely others will take a look and introduce themselves for the first time to the current indie scene.
    Remember, this is only the first year they've tried this. We would hope that if GameSpot run the votes for these awards year in year out, more and more mainstream gamers might become interested. Bigger picture and all that.
    Maybe im being romantic! We've got to start trying to introduce ourselves to mainstream gamers eventually..... dont we?
    Well, it seems like a good place to start, even if the results are a bit predictable for the first few years.

11. milieu

Original Member

One problem with opening the floor to GameSpot is that not all the games have downloadable demos or even trailers. So how can the audience possibly make an informed decision on those games?

At the IGF, don't they have dedicated machines that are set up with the game so the attendees can play it?

12. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Yep they have dedicated machines...

Gamespot and Gamespy in years past have done an article on the games, if they do that in addition to the voting I think that would be great. Again my concern here is just that it gives an unfair advantage. With some games that discovery on the IGF floor can make them win the audience award...IF it is an audience award shouldn't it be based on the opinion of people who have actually PLAYED the game? There aren't demos for all the games...how can you possibly vote...? Again I see issues here...and I did respond to the IGF....though it was a short email...

Mine (in response to getting my new IGF banner):
    I have to admit I'm a little surprised by the decision to use Gamespot to
    collect votes.
    Ad is up.

There's:
    Thank you! Best, Tara

----
    Guessing that means they don't want to discuss it. Everyone is welcome to think what they want, but I think we can agree on one point...not all traffic is equal...not sure that relates at all...but maybe :)

13. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

How about the other side of it. Has anyone else considered all the additional downloads the entrants (with actual downloads that is) are going to get? Talk about good times if you had a double digit conversion ration. :D

14. queasy

Original Member

That's a good point too bongpig. It seems some what two-edged. On the one hand, the indies get a lot of exposure, yet on the other hand, we have the "hey, i'm just gonna vote for the game I know" problem.

One thing that levels out the playfield is having all the games readily playable. With the gamespot scheme, a user has to first download, install, play the game, and then if the user is that type of persion, uninstall it.

At the IGF, the dood just walks up to the booth, plays the game, that's it. There's less of a barrier.

Anyway, in the end it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. Exposure vs a chance at a 1k usd prize.

-j

15. milieu

Original Member

Exactly. I will definitely enter the IGF, and I really hope to be a finalist...but I could care less about the prizes. The exposure of being a finalist, let alone winning a prize, would be worth the time and expense to apply and attend.

16. Coyote

Indie Author

Oh, it's a great publicity / advertising opportunity.

Just not much of a legitimate contest, and the rewards will likely not be reaped by the most deserving.

The gamer purist part of me resents the idea, but the businessman part of me (which I never knew I had) says, "COOL!"

17. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

As legit as the grammy's or any other awards ceremony. You can't have an unbiased anything, because you need an opinion to make a decision, and an opinion is biased. The IGF is a pannel industry peoples opinion of indie games. If they decide a game is indistinguishable from a commercial game and that makes it best, that's what they decide. Just like the gametunnel end of year awards is Russel's, and the roundup is that of the panel. The IGF is no more illegitame than us, just they have several more thousand dollars to spend on rewarding them.

18. JoeMaru

Indie Author

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.. at least this year they are picking some games that are inide, shooting for mainstream audineces, and fun.. past years the acceptance criteria has been a little strange. if your game was not 'weird', it was not considered 'indie' enough and would not get accepted.

I looked at the entries this year, and I am impressed.. the last few years I went and played the games, and I would 70% of the entries did not impress me at all in any way.

Comparing it to the emmys or grammys or oscars is appropriate. they are all just ceremonies for a bunch of insiders congratualting each other.. who really cares if it means anything about who is the best.. those who are in it get exposure and sales. And that probably is the best one can expect and hope for.

The idea that there should be some kind of purity associated with it is just something I don't understand.

19. GBGames

Indie Author

Don't forget that with the IGF, the dood has to actually BE there in the first place. With the gamespot scheme, a user just has to be at a computer. Less of a barrier.

20. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

I'm sure with 'past years' you do not mean 'just past year', since Savage was a mainstream game in all senses..