Featured I need some advice

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Benjj77, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Benjj77

Benjj77 New Member

i signed up to this forum cause i wanted to ask a question to other indie devs out there who have more experience then me. i have never made a game before but i am determined to make one. The thing is i didn't realize how confusing and kinda scary it would be. there is so much that goes into making a game that i didn't realize going into it, and i just feel kinda lost.

basically, i feel like im lost. besides picking an engine (unity) to work with i have very little idea on where to start. does any one have any advice?

2. tmcarey

tmcarey New Member

I'd say the first place to start is following along with tutorials.
    Create a simple application, such as a character moving around on the screen.
    Next, make it so the character can't move out of the screen boundaries.
    Then, start adding images the character can't move through.

Continue the process until you've designed a full application that you're proud of (even if it's simple and doesn't have the best graphics).

The hardest part is chipping away at learning how to do new things, but once you start, you're on your way.

The first program I ever built was a moving box that started the level over when hitting other boxes.
    Your first is not going to be some amazingly crafted artwork, and that's okay.

Tutorials are a great place to start.
    I've created a few if you're interested -- I may upload a "basics of basics" video tonight if I get it completed.

3. Iridescent Waves

Iridescent Waves New Member

I agree. Start small, step by step, even if it doesn't reach your expectations. I would say the worst thing to do is polishing your stuff before thinking of the core mechanics and game/level design ideas.
    When I started making games, i learned how to move a square sprite on the screen using The Games Factory (now Multimedia Fusion).
    Learning takes time but if you don't distract yourself too much, it will happen.
    Another important thing is to have fun. If you have fun with the learning process, you will learn faster and better.

4. TheTodd

TheTodd New Member

Yea, definitely start small. Get used to unity, and understand your abilities. Then work your way up from that. And whatever your first game is, make it small. Simple. Refined. Then work your way up.