I Need Guidance, Master.

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by VeritasEtGladius, Apr 18, 2018.

1. VeritasEtGladius

VeritasEtGladius New Member

1. I have Adobe Photoshop, 3D Slash, Blender, and I’m using a computer with Windows 10. I’ve been studying lua for a while now, and I still don’t understand everything but, something finally dawned on me: I can’t use what I’ve learned so far for my original intention [of creating games on ROBLOX], so even when I feel like I have a comprehensive knowledge of lua I have no idea how and/or where to begin my first project... Can I get some guidance? I’m currently using CodeCombat, and I’m beginning my CIS degree/classes next month. I’m also about to get a few books from the college library on algorithms, linear programming, and C++.

2. WildG

WildG New Member

Hey, what are you trying to build?
    I know nothing of the languages you speak but I am a hobbyist game maker. Might be able to help you out.
    Take a look at my pet project: universeatarms.com

VeritasEtGladius likes this.
  3. VeritasEtGladius

Originally I wanted to create a multiplayer [roughly 2-10 people playing together online] RPG game with a choice-and-consequence story coupled with some RTS mechanics in addition to some other things I never really ironed out. I realized I made my idea a bit too grand for a beginner's project early on, so I decided to learn the [lua] language before I started spitting out half-baked ideas. I'm primarily looking to make a First-Person RPG, a classic top-down RTS (which I see you already have experience in), a text-based adventure book (which I understand is probably be the easiest to create), and possibly enter into creating desktop applications once I'm ready.

Honestly I'm worried that if I jump into a project too soon, I'll end up falling on my face and starting my indie career with a poor reputation, and at the end of the day I do want to earn money and a good reputation from whatever project I complete.

Thank you for the reply, and I like what you've done so far on UA.

4. WildG

WildG New Member

Hey.

I would advise planning it before making it. Have a goal in mind, break it down, see if its all doable at your current skill level.
    Also a golden rule of self teaching: Do, plug the holes, redo. :)

If you want to get into JS we can work on UA together. Its a hobby for me so don't expect me to be working 24/7...
    Or you can just bounce some ideas at me while you build your GDD.

5. VeritasEtGladius

Well, I can come up with a plan easily. I just don't actually know how to go about producing anything tangible. Like prototypes or even to make the leaky ship to plug the holes. I would like to bounce some idea off you later, but right now I have an idea, and an idea of where I want the idea to go.

6. WildG

WildG New Member