I need advice on adding monetization features in my app

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Four, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Four

Four New Member

Regarding my android app which displays musical notes from microphone,

I put flurry into my app a bit late. I first released in ~November last year, and put in flurry very recently (Jan 25). and looking at the stats so far. 1K sessions and about 0.5K users. Median session length is about 1min (30%). That shows to me people like it as they use it more than once. But then again maybe mostly people upgrading. And it reached a stage were people stopped rating it 1 star. New ratings are 3 stars and up :).

I don't know whats best:

- Leave it alone and just be ad supported
    - I can do inapp purchase which will remove ads. I don't know what extra features I can add. My output speed is 1 new feature or improvement every 2-3 weeks.
    - Make a new paid "pro" version
    - Add inapp purchases for "Love points" to show your love and support development, which will remove ads, and motivate me to further develop. Person can purchase as much as they like :)
    - Perhaps something else

Also I don't know realistically how much worth, it is to develop this app.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think you just need to acknowledge that clever though this sounds, it's hardly a mass market product that people are going to use over and over. I'd stick it out paid for a few bucks. Anyone who has a good use for it will be happy to pay. Let the ads version soak up the guys who are just curious.

3. Tobias

Indie Author

Sorry Four, but those are really bad stats. Don't bother with monetization yet. As I see it you have two viable options:
    1) Somehow find out why your users aren't using the app much, it could be something simple
    2) Forget about it and move on

4. Four

Four New Member

I think you're right. The idea is 'cute' and someday perhaps I'll realize this idea into a new form. For now its time to move on.

5. NicolasGB

NicolasGB New Member

I agree with Tobias, unfortunately your playerbase atm is just too small to get significant revenue from the 1-5% of people who will actually buy IAPs.

For the record I tend to favour consumable items over permanent ones since even the most engaged players will only buy the latter once, while they can keep on purchasing the former infinitely.

6. TylerBetable

TylerBetable New Member

Hey Four,

I don't think you should do any monetization yet, but that doesn't mean give up on the app! The novelty of it is interesting and those apps have a tendency to generate decent organic growth and revenues. No reason to throw it away

I'd recommend the donate button for now. You can also start charging for some major feature improvements if you have ideas for them

In the longterm, invest a little into marketing your app. With a budget of $100 per week and good analytics, you can really nail where to market your app, etc and maybe get up to 5k or 10k users in a couple months. Then ad revenue looks like a reasonable option, or that for-pay major feature improvement

Anyways, best of luck :)