I don't get "You Have to Bur the Rope"!!!

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by CousinGilgamesh, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Dark Octave

Dark Octave New Member

2. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

3. Musenik

Original Member

Maybe part of the problem is, we've put too many expectations on the IGF?

What about other awards?

Entering this one cost a bit more:

http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=15493

It seemed like an incredible long-shot. I thought DHSGiT had a better chance for an IGF nomination, albeit a small one.

I'm still hoping for a nod from the Developer Choice Awards, but I don't know how their system turns nominations into finalists. Does it depend upon the number of people nominating it???

4. vjvj

Indie Author

Yeah but the problem is, why do we need to be needlessly mutually exclusive? Why do these "games" have to throw away all the actual gameplay just to convey a message? I mean, there are good movies out there with excellent casts and beautiful direction with interesting stories that also contain metaphors and undertones for a deeper (often unrelated) message. Why can't I have a game that does the same? Is it impossible to make a game that has running and jumping presented in some way to pose a challenge while ALSO conveying a message?

I'm sitting here thinking back to when I played Metal Gear Solid 1 for the first time. We're talking about a game with not only a good story, but also some very interesting undertones of gene theory and evolution (completely unrelated to the whole terrorists-hijacking-a-nuclear-equipped-walking-robot-thingie), while simultaneously REVOLUTIONIZING GAME DESIGN in the stealth-action genre. And now I'm getting links to games where I basically just hold the arrow key and watch the sprites move and nothing really happens, but "Dude, you're supposed to think! It makes you think about life!". Gimme a friggin' break. I can think and play at the same time, thank you.

Interactive art and "games as art" are two different things, and I would like to see them treated that way eventually. Independent Interactive Art Festival, anyone?

5. jeb_

Indie Author

6. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I have to join the chorus of people who think YGBR is amusing, but hardly belongs as a finalist for the most innovative game of the year. For starters there have already been numerous "statement" games like this before, many of which are better than YGBR. So it's not even the best in its class.

Furthermore how does its supposed "innovation" push the industry or other developers forward? I guess its "statement" some people gleen from it is that games have become too hard or the payoff for beating a game is too small nowadays. Fine and dandy but if that's what its saying then it's basically the equivalent of someone ranting on a blog post or forum since the YGBR doesn't actually show developers how do it in a real game. The reason endings are short is because less than 2% of players ever finish a game and if you're strapped for resources (like most indies) you try to put it where it will be most effective. But sure if the core gameplay only took 30 minutes to code, I could spend the next week writing an ending song.

YGBR doesn't tell me or give me any ideas or inspiration on how to make games easier or more rewarding. It basically just makes a statement games aren't rewarding enough and leaves the "innovation" for others to figure out.

That's of course if the game actually had a message. Judging by the interview with the creator, this seemed more like just a weekend fancy than an actual statement he was trying to make. It's like when a 3 year-old throws a bucket of paint on a canvas and some "abstract" art critic comes along and proclaims it the next big thing in art and asserts anyone who doesn't get the deeper meaning is a troglodyte.

What worries me more is that multiple IGF judges must of thought this was among the most innovative games of the year. I doubt one judge could spike the ratings like that. Is this some "insider" joke among the judges? IGF is suppose to be aiming to be a prestiges award festival. Tons of indies enter or dream of entering their games each year. I didn't enter this year but I imagine this just kicks dirt in the eye of all the people who paid money to enter and worked extra sleepless nights to meet the entry deadline.

Btw, I'm not saying just because a game has lots of content or the developer spent years developing it doesn't mean it should automatically get awards over smaller games. Sometimes simple is better. But YGBR barely even qualifies as a game.

7. 320x240

320x240 New Member

Mature as in old age, yes, but not mature as in someone having gained insight and become wiser. Deconstruction is just that, old age without insight. Bored minds who have lost the potency and elasticity of youth and now turn back to grasp at what is not in their possesion anymore. It's the intellect cut loose from the rest of the world and left to entertain itself.

8. OremLK

Indie Author

I think it's a hilarious game well-presented (and a catchy little tune), and not at all appropriate for IGF. But it's not really the developer's fault that people overstated its importance.

9. princec

Indie Author

Indeed, I don't think anyone blames the developer for having fun. It's the IGF judging that is at question. It throws the whole process into question.

I had a look at a bunch of the other finalists and I have to say I am so far 75% very disappointed in the nominees. Some of them are just plain shite. I might post up a one-sentence review of each of them just to spite everyone.

Cas :)

10. hddnobjcttmmngmntmtch3rlz

By the way, is there any way to change the title of this thread? I think the typo is very offensive both to the game and the developer of the game. Mostly though, it is annoying to me.

11. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It's less annoying than really long usernames! :)

12. Maupin

Original Member

Well said!

13. hddnobjcttmmngmntmtch3rlz

Yes, very funny. Don't make me point the CGPDC (casual games portal/developer cabal) satellite toward Birmingham. FYI in addition to its mind-controlling resonator, it also has a death ray, which is created by shooting a light through a special combination of jewels. Why do you think there are so many match-3 games out there? The portals have been tricking the public into calibrating the death ray for years now.

14. Spore Man

Indie Author

Well that's the whole other puzzling thing... In order to be considered as even an IGF finalist, you have to SUBMIT YOUR GAME and pay a fee. So the guy who made this thought he had a chance and spent $150 to submit it. So, developer's fault or not?

:confused:

15. Reactor

IGF == a lottery for indie devs

?

16. jeb_

Indie Author

Well, Kian wrote this in his blog:

Read the whole post here, it's quite thoughtful: http://www.mazapan.se/news/2009/01/07/independent-games-festival/

17. princec

Indie Author

Well, I can certainly think of far better ways to spend $100.

Cas :)

18. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I've long ago devised a theory about contests like these (be it a demo compo, game contest, eurovision song contest, whatever)

The best joke that doesn't get disqualified wins, regardless of quality.

19. luggage

I've always felt a bit uncomfortable about paying to enter a competition.

20. Sybixsus

Original Member

Here in the UK, David, Lord Sutch used to stand in elections as the Monster Raving Loony Party candidate. I'm pretty sure it would have been our fault if we had elected him as MP for Winchester, Kensington or Monmouth though. Often times people stand for election or enter well-publicised contests because simply taking part enables them to get their message across. I don't think they deserve any of the blame if we/they are stupid enough to let them win.