I don't get "You Have to Bur the Rope"!!!

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by CousinGilgamesh, Jan 12, 2009.

1. CousinGilgamesh

CousinGilgamesh New Member

So I've been checking out some of the IGF finalists, and for the most part, I'm pretty impressed. But one game I just can't figure out is You Have To Burn The Rope. you might want to try it out before reading on.

I followed the link and played the game. It tells you at the beginning what to expect and what to do, and when you get to the end of the tunnel, you do it, and then that's the end of the game, and some dude sings a song about how you have free time now because you're done with the game. Wondering if that was really all there was, I went back to check it out again (even though the song assured me that that was it). I noticed this time, that you could damage the boss with weapons, but you couldn't beat it. The only option was what it said at the beginning of the game.

So that's all there is. The description of the game said that it was a game about predestination and false choices, but I don't really see it being about anything at all.

Is this REALLY one of the 5 most innovative indie games this year? I mean, really? Maybe there's some deeper inner meaning to the game that I totally missed that qualifies it for the IGF Innovation award. Does anyone see something in this game that I don't?

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well clearly you don't see the hidden message behind that game because you didn't drink 1 bottle of whisky before playing it. I heard that's how IGF judge the games :D

3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Its amazing the things that qualify as innovation.

Its like these people who think a crack in the floor is 'art', or a dead sheep floating in a giant fishtank full of piss. Its bollocks, is what it is.

Are these people off their tits on drugs, or what?

4. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

LOL I have to 100% agree! They (whoever they are?) say 'art is in the eye of the beholder', but I guess if your eyes are monged out on drugs that prolly adds a few extra points of interest to pretty much anything really :)

5. vjvj

Indie Author

I love the IGF and really respect what they are doing. They will always have my support.

But it's stuff like this that kinda makes me feel like part of the indie dev community is going in a direction that I'd really rather not see it go in. Novelty is becoming extremely important, except in the area of game design where novelty is almost optional. "Watching stuff fall" has become an innovation in gameplay. Jason Rohrer gets a lot of press in the indie game scene, but his titles are barely games at all; they are more interactive works of art.

Imagine Audiosurf with hand-built tracks instead of it ripping the data from your CDs. Would the gameplay really be that different?

Now I actually greatly appreciate the aforementioned titles for their respective achievements. However, I feel these achievements lie outside the core of gaming: The actual gameplay itself. I don't think the IGF should stop what it's doing, but I would like to see a little more attention given to the things that made games like Metroid, Metal Slug, and X-Com such amazing experiences. I'm really looking forward to seeing innovation in that area, and seeing its popularity grow.

That said, I'll definitely give You Have to Bur the Rope a shot... And to the IGF's credit, they separated the design categories to try and highlight the different kinds of innovation. So it's not off their radar... I just want more attention given to it :p

6. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I think it's insightful.

Many games (final fantasy, anyone?) are simply way too long for normal people, and at the same time the payoff for solving most games is very low (just "thanks for play", maybe credits).

YHTBTR is tad bit extreme in reversing this, but it kind of makes you think. If not think, maybe laugh for a bit.

It's a one-shot thing; there's no point in "cloning" it, but you may take something from it - namely, make games more accessible to "normal people", and work a bit on the payoff as well.

7. luggage

It doesn't sound like a game to me.

8. princec

Indie Author

You know, that makes me fucking furious, considering I didn't get a nomination for anything for the best paradroid remake evarrr. Next time I'm going to shit in a bag and send it with my wasted $100 and call it "You have to sniff the bag."

Cas :)

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

You could win a special award for innovation for sure! :D

10. Ciardhubh

Ciardhubh New Member

YHTBTR is more innovative than most other games. Other games are longer and have more content but their innovation level is minimal. They are a copy of another game with one more/different feature. They can still be better games but they are not as innovative.

If there is one thing you can say about YHTBTR, it's that it is not like other games. That is innovation.

YHTBTR belongs the the same category as outside-the-box pseudo-games like Rara Racer and The Graveyard. They entertain for a short time and leave you thinking "What the heck?", not knowing whether what you had just played was pure genius or the most stupid thing ever :D

11. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Ok, I played the game and I'm on the last level.

Fortunately, they have a walkthrough and a youtube video I can watch later for help/hints.

Seriously though, the ending song reminds me a bit of Flight of the Concords!

Does it belong in the IGF innovative category? Maybe they ran out of games to fill slots. It's less innovation that political statement.

If it won the category, then it would really hurt the IGF competition.

12. luggage

Just because something is different doesn't mean it's innovative - it can still be crap. It's easy to be different, it's hard to be innovative.

I think it's unfair that something like that gets into the final - I'd love to know the reasons behind it. I feel for all those people paying their $100 to enter a competition and someone gets in ahead of them with nothing more than what feels like a poor joke.

13. princec

Indie Author

It does indeed feel like a poor joke. Don't think I'll bother entering again, I'll keep my $100 and spend it on advertising.

14. Nexic

Indie Author

Yup, IGF is now a joke.

15. jeb_

Indie Author

I think YHTBTR is a really cool joke and innovative in the way the "one million dollar home page" was innovative. A really simple idea that nobody has done before, and can't do again.

I can't complain about any of the nominations this year, they are really great games, but of course I'm disappointed not to be a part of that.

(Last year I was annoyed about Audiosurf, since the category is "excellence in audio" and not "innovation in audio" as it had been earlier years. The sound effects in Audiosurf is not enough to win an "excellence" award, imho...)

16. princec

Indie Author

But it's not a cool joke. It's one level from a much bigger game, a game that wouldn't have won fuck all if it got entered in the IGF. It's the sort of thing that you find in just a tiny part of a typical game. It's not particularly original - loads of boss battles involve something more or less the same. The only thing this waste of time has going for it is that it got nominated for the IGF and sparked a load of controversy because it is a waste of my time.

Shall I release a version of droid assault where there's just one robot, call it You Have To Take Over The Robot, and see where it gets me?

17. luggage

I just don't get it - can someone explain what's innovative about it? What features from that game would I want to bring into my own games? Which bit is making people go "I wish I'd have thought of that?".

18. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Same here because I think it's pretty crap - in fact it's plain 'arse' really :p

19. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

I think it's a funny little game (although there's no point in really "playing" it when you know the concept or can youtube the whole thing in 2 min).

That's sort of self defeating when it's mearly a concept/joke and not really a game you want to play. You compare this to games that are full of clever jokes/cliches AND are fun to play, and it's easily dismissed.

Clever, sure.

But I think there are games more deserving of the award, agreed.

There are also many games out there like this - so I am not sure why this particular one gained so much traction. There's a XBCG game (the name escapes me at the moment) - an RPG where you simply click "Slay Dragon" and so forth and win in less than 5 seconds. It has 3 endings and it's pretty funny too I guess.

It's the type of stuff honestly that makes me want to go back and create classic good games. I've had my fill of "clever."

20. luggage

The XBLCG is called "Swords & Monsters". There was one on there called In The Pit where you played the entire game by sound - I'd rather see that there than this burn the rope sillyness. It just devalues the entire IGF thing.