How to prototype an indie MMO with Unity and SpatialOS [with source]

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ggambett, Feb 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hey guys! I’m back with interesting stuff :)

A few months ago I introduced SpatialOS and the work we’re doing at Improbable. Last week we published an article about Worlds Adrift. And now we’re publishing a full example with source code!

One of our programmers made a prototype of an online multiplayer game inspired by Dark Souls. This article show how she did it, and highlights the most relevant parts of the code.

Here's a small clip of what it looks like.

You need Unity and SpatialOS to run it. SpatialOS is early access right now. And you can figure out how to get Unity ;)

Feel free to contact me directly if you want :)

bantamcitygames likes this.
  2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Gabriel, this is some really impressive stuff. I'm not sure if I understand SpatialOS correctly, but the scale of this could be huge!

So, does SpatialOS do the work of deploying the persistent game world to the cloud and auto sharding it? It is one huge world and SpatialOS does the breakdown to figure out how many physical servers to spin up? or is there some way to define the sharding requirements? How much of the development is done directly in Unity vs in SpatialOS (where does this separation occur)?

Good luck with it... I may be a future customer! :)

#2 bantamcitygames, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yes, that's pretty much how it works :)

Take a look at the article linked above for a real-life example :) The general idea is that you build a world that exists and does interesting things whether players are connected or not, so most of what you'd cal the "game logic" runs in SpatialOS. Then you can write as many game clients as you like -- PC using Unity, a VR headset, a mobile client,... they're not different games, but different ways to interact with the same game.

bantamcitygames likes this.
  4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

5. tpmepet

tpmepet New Member

#5 tpmepet, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  6. Aemelius

Aemelius New Member

This is beyond amazing! Would SpatialOS work with any type of world designed in Unity? For example, a 2D world similar to Pokemon/Zelda or 2.5D world similar to let's say Ragnarok. Would that work?

And again, this is beyond amazing. Great work, my friend!