How to Manage Part-Time Job, School, and Composing?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Battlegun, Jan 12, 2018 at 3:30 PM.

1. Battlegun

Battlegun New Member

Hello Indie Gamers! I have a part-time job of around 32 hours a week, go to school full-time, and also will hopefully compose music for games in the near future. I know some of you guys have faced worse, but how do you manage your time when you don't have very many hours in the day?

2. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

Do you go to school for composing or have a job in composing, would be better if there is some overlap so you can multitask.

3. tmcarey

tmcarey New Member

As someone who also goes to school full-time, works part-time, and who believes in staying healthy by finding time for the gym at least 4 days a week.. it's quite difficult.

I think the biggest help I received in regards to time is this:
    There are 168 hours in a week.
    Minus 8 hours per day for sleep, is 112 hours.
    Minus 32 hours per week for work, is 80 hours.
    Minus 20 hours per week (for classes and homework, you might not even work this much on classes, idk your credit hours), is 60 hours.
    Minus 20 hours per week (for cooking, cleaning, etc), is 40 hours.

With a fairly generous time calculation above, you have 40 hours a week to work on composing.
    Even if you take an extra 20 hours for distractions, you have 20 hours a week for composing.

While being in college and working 32 hour weeks, working on your own projects for 20 hours a week is pretty good.
    The trap is typically distractions, when you sit there and watch Netflix or YouTube for hours on end with no sense of time.