How many indie (downloadable) game do you own?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by AlexN, Jul 13, 2005.

1. AlexN

Original Member

Hi,

How many indie downloadable game do you own? So far, I've bought Bejeweled 2, Chuzzle and Wild West Wendy.

Cheers

2. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

I've only bought Space Tripper (I just couldn't live without beating it) and Zuma, which I think is the best casual game ever.

Since I don't have much free time to play games, I just download and play demos or web games when I'm bored.

3. digriz

Original Member

Bugatron
    Best Friends Forever
    Cosmobots
    Chuzzle
    HamsterBall
    StarMonkey
    StrayFire.

Currently considering Ultratron as a purchase too.

4. simonh

Indie Author

Best Friends
    Platypus (original)
    Hamsterball
    Aerial Antics

Um, and I think that's it.

As you can see I only really like colourful action games. Which is probably why I made one.

5. Raptisoft

Indie Author

My list is too long to post here... but I've been buying more casual games than regular games lately. Know why? I bought a few casual games last year... then this spring I bought a couple AAA titles.

Let me just say this about AAA titles:

1. 30 second wait before the game even starts LOADING to view the company logo and tagline ("We Make Games!") of every company involved in the project.

2. No "Try and Buy" so they get away with making a horrendous interface. I love losing complete control of my cursor and computer during load sequences. :p I love having to go into a manual to find out that F10 brings up the menu.

3. Crashola! Because Indies get such fast feedback, most (most!) Indie games are relatively stable. AAA titles... no way. I crashed more times with the 3 AAA games I bought in the last two months than in Indie games I've bought for the last couple years.

4. No way to quickly get in and out of game. Say you want to play a quick something while doing a "rebuild all." Pop up a casual game, play a few minutes, go back. Or, bring up an AAA title... swap in the CD. Watch the 30-40 seconds of logos. Now endure the 1-2 minutes of loading. Now go through the smoothly scrolling transition menus (10-20 seconds). And boom, you're ready to start the game. Ready to quit? Find the save feature. Click "exit" on the menu. Click through "are you sure?" Now go back to main menu. Now click "exit" there. Now click are you sure again. Now go through a shutdown process that's almost as slow as the load process. Holy cow!

6. papillon

Indie Author

Me *personally* (as opposed to decisions and games shared with other half), Fate. Pow Pow's Great Adventure. Might have bought Alien Flux eventually but the price at the time was a bit high and I managed to win a free copy instead. :)

... most casual games just aren't interesting enough for me to feel compelled to buy them, bored housewife or no. I have particular tastes. As the ONE person who loved AF's control scheme and has no interest in Ultratron, I think I just don't fit in with the market :)

(Chuzzle is *awfully* shiny though. Must... resist... virtual crack...)

#6 papillon, Jul 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  7. Abscissa

Original Member

Ditto on Raptisoft's AAA game comments. But I'll add that most AAA games just aren't as fun as the indie ones anyway. And the recent story-driven-gameplay obsession really kills replayability. And on point #4 you forgot the unskippable "cinematic" intros, in addition to all that other stuff ;). And then there's the Tecmo games with a 10+ second legal notice before the company logos even start. Arrgghh!!

That said, I haven't been buying nearly as many indie games as I really want to (Low on money, so I haven't been able to get the few AAA I actually am interested in either). These are the ones I have bought (In no order):

Gish
    Orbz
    Paradoxion

The ones I still plan to get once I get some extra money are (in no order):

Cactus Bruce and the Corporate Monkeys
    Big Kahuna Reef (I can't believe I actually got hooked on a match-3 game :D )
    Professor Fizzwizzle
    BreakQuest
    Super DX-Ball
    Hyperballoid
    Pop-Pop
    Hamsterball
    Alien Shooter
    Platypus
    DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
    Jets'n'Guns
    Dr. Lunatic Supreme With Cheese

8. kerchen

Indie Author

Recent purchases:
    Astral Masters
    Fate

In total, I've probably bought about eight or nine over the past few years. I probably would have bought a few Popcap games but the free web versions are sufficient to satisfy my urges. :)

9. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Hey Papillion, buy Chuzzle and I'll give you a free Hamsterball. :)

10. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I've bought... none! But I've been given a few. There have been some that I would have bought, except... more games for my PC? I'm supposed to be working! And the reality is that even games I really like, I'll end up playing for 20 minutes and then forgetting about forever and ever.

Besides which, I generally prefer old console games, which are also much cheaper.

11. papillon

Indie Author

(Actually my other half bought Hamsterball a long time ago..... and then swore at it a lot. This was pre 2.0, there have probably been many changes since then, I think he's forgotten about it by now. I didn't count it on the list because it wasn't MY purchase.)

I'm too poor for anything right now. Ask me when/if I ever get this RPG done :)

12. Coyote

Indie Author

Ricochet Lost Worlds
    Orbz
    Bejewelled (bought it for my wife)
    Pretty Good Solitaire (also bought it for my wife)
    Galactic Civilizations
    Outpost Kaloki
    Mythic Blades

So that's seven. Not including my own. :)

13. Codemattic

Original Member

Twisted (by Rays Maze guy)
    BattleGirl
    Sentinels of Ceth
    Bumbler
    DeadEnd3D
    SpaceTripper
    Mutant Storm
    Bugatron
    Puppytron
    others I cant think of at the moment.

Professor Fizzwizzle is my probable next purchase.

14. terin

Original Member

Strangely..

Strangely enough I have never actually purchased an indie game.

I OWN probably about 50 but they are "donated" to me to help with marketing :)

-Joe

15. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Astral Tournament
    Astral Masters

There are others I would have bought, (mostly the strategy-ish games) but I got free copies here and there from beta testing and what-not. Although I lost many of my games when my system wiped recently. I'm not sure how to even get some of them back. Oh, the pitfalls of online distribution!

And I've been bordering on the edge of buying Fate for a long time now. One of these days I'm sure I'll cave in and do it.

-Hiro_Antagonist

16. vjvj

Indie Author

Democracy
    Outpost Kaloki
    Uplink
    Gish
    Meridian 59
    Almost all of Hamumu's games :)
    Would have bought Glace if it wasn't free

Been meaning to pick up Hamsterball and Chromadrome as well, just haven't had time to play them as much as I'd like.

17. Raptisoft

Indie Author

2.0 has somewhat better balance. But he might as well wait until November to download, because we'll have the "Shockwave 3" levels as a free upgrade for people who bought it off our site.

18. Mickey Crocker

Mickey Crocker New Member

Dweep
    Avernum 1
    Avernum 2
    Avernum 3

(Odd choice eh?) I'm mostly an old school hardcore gamer compared to a casual gamer. The only reason I purchased Dweep was for my girlfriend, so that we could have a game that we could play together. Other then that, I'm only for retro (mostly rpg) gaming.

19. Travis Dorschel

Original Member

Crimsonland
    Wik
    Bookworm Deluxe (as a gift)

Personally I would love to see more "hardcore" action style casual games like Crimsonland / Alien Shooter. I don't have time to play AAA titles anymore, but I still like the action. Guess I need to get off my butt and do it myself!

20. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

Enchantasy
    All six Commander Keen games
    King of Dragon Pass (received as gift)
    Starscape
    Neophyte: The Journey Begins (The game is free, but I bought the T-shirt.)