How long was the shortest sample you've used in a game?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by oNyx, May 24, 2010.

1. oNyx

Original Member

I'd like to gather some rule of thumb statistics for pushing better WebM/Vorbis support in modern browsers.

Currently Firefox fails at playing:

0:00.783 (34510 samples)

Opera fails at playing:

0:00.099 (4381 samples)

And Chromium completely fails for some reason. Even if the file is several minutes long. It appears that it currently cannot deal with WebM files which don't have a video stream.

Now, this second 99msec long sound effect is indeed very short, but it's a sample I'd like to use in a game and I really don't feel like padding it with silence.

So, how long (in msec) is the shortest sample you've ever used?

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Are you suggesting short sfx are bad, or something else?

3. oNyx

Original Member

There is no hidden agenda. I merely want to show that really short samples are actually used and that the ability to play really short samples is indeed a critical feature.

4. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Oh okay, so there's a bug.

Isn't that a bit of a waste though? Having to (constantly?) OGG decode a file less than a second, or is WAV playing not possible?

5. Dingo Games

Indie Author

I use short sounds in my games quite often. The shortest would be about 80ms... I think it's pretty common in games. That said, I just dropped a really short ogg vorbis sound into Firefox and it played with no problem.

6. oNyx

Original Member

Browser vendors can optimize this if they want and most likely they already do this. Images for example also aren't decoded again and again if the same image is used multiple times.

WAV is way too bloaty. It's about 10 times bigger than Vorbis (no matter which container you use).

E.g. I got here 17 short samples. Together they are 1.39mb in size. The Ogg/Vorbis files are 139kb (1/10 indeed) in size. 1.39mb is already way larger than the size I'm aiming for.

Yes, it works with Ogg/Vorbis. The point is that the same doesn't work with WebM/Vorbis.

7. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Except for ordinary web work, a sound is never used more than once. Heck, most ordinary webs never use sound at all, making it a low priority (even though there's all that HTML5 vs. Flash thing going on).

I'm guessing the practical uses you're implying are HTML5 game development, heh, otherwise I'm missing the point. ;)

8. oNyx

Original Member

I do not care if they cache it. Playing 10 Vorbis streams at the same time takes what? 2% CPU? There are far bigger problems than that.

I do, however, care if the sound is actually played. There is no image too small to render. Why should it be any different with audio files?

9. Grey Alien

Indie Author

In download games I sometimes use very short samples. In a recent Flash (AS3) game that I helped make I discovered that some short samples were in fact getting truncated, it was weird and annoying so I had to include whitespace on the end of them for them to play fully and be heard.