How important is Windows 7, really?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by elias4444, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Sharpfish

Original Member

I'm just going to skip 7 and target 8... because it will probably be out before my game is as I tend to take 4 year breaks from development :rolleyes:

2. DigitalDuffman

DigitalDuffman New Member

I had issues initially with Indexing and Super Fetch... Super Fetch would use up about 90% of my 3 gigs of memory caching frequently used programs, so much so that I had to access the harddrive to do almost anything. Turning off both these services made things a lot better.

Since then, I just have lots of odd crashes... most of the time with no error message, the computer just restarts. In many ways that sounds like a hardware problem but it started the day I installed Vista and was never happening with XP. I keep Vista up to date with all the Microsoft patches and occassion download other drivers too (new ATI drivers for instance)... this problem has never stopped.

I also bought Vista so I could use my ATI TV Wonder card with the all the new builtin multimedia stuff Vista promised... problem is, ATI and Microsoft don't have drivers for my card (despite ATI claiming that Windows Vista should autodetect it)... this was probably my biggest reason to switch to Vista and I've never been able to use it.

Vista tends to screw up my dual monitors too... switching them around, making both screens display the same thing, etc. I can't run them both at their highest resolution either because the display on the second monitor gets funky when I do so... this might be a hardware issue though, not sure.

And then there are periods of time where its just really slow and sluggish when nothing is going on. And don't even get me started on how long it takes to do a shutdown or restart.

My girlfriend gets mad because GTA IV always crashes on her when she plays on Vista... it never did on XP.

3. Bad Sector

Original Member

Seriously, all these issues sound much more like hardware issues than issues with Vista. It might be a coincidence that XP had no problems (like in my case when my computer crashed and/or restarted at random times in XP while that was never a problem in Linux - guess what: the CPU was overheating, but for some reason Linux didn't used as much CPU in idle as XP).

They can be also related to your configuration and installed drivers and software (although i'm not sure if software and configuration can make a computer crash or restart often - bad drivers maybe, but if it is a driver issue that isn't affected by configuration this is usually fixed quickly -- and in any case it is becoming known that this is the reason, like when initial Vista installations had issues with nVidia cards because of nVidia's bad initial drivers).

If you misconfigure your OS and make the system a mess, its not the system's fault :p.

(although some people have the opinion that it is the system's fault that it lets you make it a mess... imo these people should be kept away from computers :p)

4. DigitalDuffman

DigitalDuffman New Member

They aren't hardware issues themselves (assuming they're all hardware related), they're hardware issues when using Vista. Whatever XP was doing worked, whatever Vista is doing does not. What that problem is, I've never been able to track down.

Something on my computer doesn't jive and it started the day I installed Vista (and later reinstalled it, which didn't help).

5. sauyadav

sauyadav New Member

Beware, this software can ruin your relationship.:p