Hey Game Tunnel, what happened?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by PoV, Mar 10, 2009.

1. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Hamumu discovered this. I'm just the one dorky enough to make a post about it.

Whilst reading the round up, we discovered this quip.

http://www.gametunnel.com/february-2009-indie-game-roundup-article.php

Obviously keeping the site going after all these years is one thing. I wont question that. Instead I'm (we're) just curious when and what happened?

2. terin

Original Member

See the post in the announcement area for details :)

-Joe

3. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

A quick explanation (don't want to derail the official announcement).
    When is the end of January.
    What is Joseph took over the site.

The story is something like this. I had been thinking a lot about the future of the website at the end of the year, before the awards were even fully posted. In past years I've been tired from the incredible hours and frustrated that I couldn't get more traction. This year, with the help of an additional writer, I was still tired, but I wasn't as frustrated (even though we got less traction than last year!)

I felt kind of like I was watching from the outside, seeing myself move and wondering if it wasn't time to step out of the well-worn path I knew. There are a lot of pieces that fit into that from the amount of work I'd put in to the flatline in the traffic (which was still very healthy! just not growing!), to questions about me being the right person to be doing the site. Another key moment was playing catch with my girls the day after Christmas (SoCal is good weather!) and realizing we hadn't done it since I moved here, over 3 and a half years ago because I have simply been too busy.

Those thoughts led me to thinking one particular Sunday in early January (1/4), that it was time for me to move on. Then Joe pinged me on Monday asking about the website and my plans for it. The timing of his contact, right after I'd been thinking it might be time for me to move on, gave validity to what I was sensing. I don't know what anyone's religious views are, but when everything aligns quickly and perfectly, in my life, it's been a sign of a higher guidance.

I couldn't imagine a better person to take on GT. I am excited for Joseph and for what the site may be a year from now, and after helping Joseph with a few things through early February, I've been enjoying my time off playing more catch with my kids, reading books (which I haven't done for years), and of course playing some games, but instead of it being a revolving door of new titles, I'm playing some games through to completion and returning to ones that I hadn't been able to play for more than a few hours for the panel.

So there you go :)
    I really appreciate all the support I've gotten through the years in running the site, the willingness to submit games for review, and the many, many volunteers who wrote reviews. It's been really a very significant part of my life for the past 6 years and I have wonderfully fond memories.

4. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Good to know what's up. All the best Russ. :)

5. MrPhil

Original Member

I looked and looked and looked... is it too much to ask for a link please?

Edit: Oh I see, you meant in the Announcement section of THIS forum, not Game Tunnel's forum: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=16017

6. Backov

Original Member

I was confused by this as well - he means the announcement area of THIS site, rather than GT.