Here's what the spam looks like.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by zoombapup, Feb 12, 2011.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I stepped down as a moderator a month or so back now. Mainly because I was spending a huge amount of my time deleting spam and not actually getting anything from the forum itself.

Anyway, long story short, I thought I'd show you guys what its like for the mods of this forum and what they get to see pretty much every visit now.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15474677/spam.jpg

So, whenever you see that someone hasnt been approved really quick, spare a thought for the guys who have to wade through that every time they come on here. Its not fun, although it makes a very wierd sort of gameplay in itself (seriously, I got almost addicted to deleting spam).

Hopefully we'll be able to push for some help server-wise to fight back, because otherwise I cant see anyone lasting in the mod role. But be glad those guys are doing it!!! At least you dont get to see it!

2. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

1. Admin adds a custom field to registration only a game dev would know.
    2. Spam defeated?

3. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

I haven't tried to run a forum in years (counter-strike clans) but surely a forum update would help?

I'm sure if it costs we could all donate towards the cause, I'd be willing.

*sigh* I hate spam, and I have never even considered clicking their links... so it's just a non-stop slap in the face for all who get sent crap or deal with it.

4. jpoag

jpoag New Member

5. Artinum

Original Member

Mental note: never produce a game called "Tramadol".
    What the heck is Tramadol, anyway?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol
    Now I'm even more confused. Why would anyone want to buy this stuff from some unknown spammer when they could get it from their doctor?

6. Olofson

Original Member

It's an opioid, and for obvious reasons, you won't get that from your doctor without a very good reason.

7. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I have a drawer full from previous dental problems if anyone wants to buy em. :)

I'm with casualinsider's idea. For a really ironic kick, the question should be:

"What 6809 assembler mnemonic was used for the Sign Extend instruction?"...

8. papillon

Indie Author

I wouldn't say defeated - I use a custom field and I still get spambots. But it did make a huge difference.

If a real human newbie can sign up to your forum, then a spammer willing to employ (or trick) a real human newbie can as well.

9. FlySim

Indie Author

10. cyodine

Original Member

I wonder if blogs are as bad with spam.

11. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I use disqus and dont have spam. But wordpress default has spam quite a bit.

Seems forums are more popular for spammers. Because some louse wrote software to create forum spam automatically (xrumer).

Crappy, but there you go. Need custom join and sin-bin code to really make forums work. Unfortunately we have the ability for neither here.

12. electronicStar

Original Member

Don't underestimate spammers, they will use all automated and human assisted means and they will find a way to register anyway.

13. jarrodavisoftware

jarrodavisoftware New Member

We're using SMF to manage our site and there is a plugin called Stop Spammer that links to stopforumspam.com. It checks the username, email and IP address and will block sign ups and send you a notice for manual approval. When the one or two per month or so that make it through and I've identified them as a spammer, I add them to the database and never have worry with them again.

On the backed it will tell you the number of blocked spammers. As of today there have been 6527.

This has been working great for us. Before this we where simply overrun by spam. Sigh.

Jarrod Davis,
    Technical Director
    PyroGine Development
    http://pyrogine.com
    FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
    "It's a beautiful thing to have
    power, choice and options."

#13 jarrodavisoftware, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah I have custom questions for my Grey Alien Framework site and that solved the spam problem. Surely it must be possible somehow, with a module or a bit of custom code?

15. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

For sure you can block some words... in this case, adding "Tramadol" would catch a lot of those spams.

You could also block new users from posting links until they have at least 1 post approved - and make it clear on rules, that if someone post an http link on the first message, this would be considered spam, and the user would be locked out...

There are lots of simple things that can make the situation better :)

16. Artinum

Original Member

Crap, I'd never be able to post here again.
    Ask me one on pop music!

EDIT: ...actually, I think I just figured it out. Hmmm! That would be rather fitting!

#16 Artinum, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  17. jpoag

jpoag New Member

18. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Hey guys. I will install the plugin and upgrade vbulletin this coming weekend.
    EDIT: Actually, switching over to SMF could be very dicey, considering the age and amount of posts here. I think we should look into vbulletin solutions too.

Also, James, would you be interested in being a mod? You certainly have the track record for it.

19. jpoag

jpoag New Member

I've hosted SMF before and it's a big change from vBulletin. I actually like vBulletin a lot.

I think a vBulletin upgrade and the antispam auto moderation plugins will help.

As for being a Mod? Do the Mods need the help? I know Phil stepped down... I guess if it's just deleting spam and approving posts I could help out.

20. jarrodavisoftware

jarrodavisoftware New Member

@Mike Boeh
    If you need more MODs I don't mind helping out.

Jarrod Davis,
    Technical Director
    PyroGine Development
    http://pyrogine.com
    FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
    "It's a beautiful thing to have
    power, choice and options."