Help me by reviewing my preview movie!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by SLUDGE, Apr 26, 2005.

1. SLUDGE

Original Member

Hi, maybe I should give some context.

We have developed a game similar to Lumines, the new PSP killer app. In a few days time, it will be featured in a number of locations. I am considering foregoing a demo and instead displaying a movie.

I'd appreciate hearing what you all thought of this movie, and whether you have played Lumines or not:

http://www.frogtoss.com/Verticube.wmv

Thanks!

2. Sirrus

Original Member

Looks good..but it feels odd when the video winds down to the composer name, then keeps going.

In any case, looks extremely similiar to Lumines - how long was the dev time on this?
    I was thinking of the same concept, but surprised to see someone on it so fast ;)

3. SLUDGE

Original Member

Yeah, the wind-down is a bit odd. I wanted to pause it (and have it resume at 10% louder volume) to regather the attention of anyone who was only half watching it. I may just do a crossfade...

Three days to code the core game in C++. An artist worked in parallel, and I brought on someone to assist me in producing it.

Then I spent a week getting the order system up for the page, and dealing with licensing issues, and another week bringing the code from alpha to beta to release candidate form...

It's all based on a code library which I've been refining in the past couple years, which explains how I was able to do this so quickly.

4. Sirrus

Original Member

Do you do contract programming? ;)
    Shoot me an email.

5. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I'm a heavy Lumines player, and whoa, this is about as close as you can get to it being Lumines without it actually being Lumines. :) The only thing missing, though, that gives Lumines it's flair is the various cool animated effects that happen in the background. Having said that, the movie seemed decent.

6. DanDanger

Original Member

Nice music!

I could not take my eyes of that vertical white bar which keeps moving accross the screen. I didnt notice much else apart from that bar, its so hipnotic. It wasnt until i viewed it a second time that I noticed there was stuff going on with the blocks. Perhaps a less obtrusive vertical white bar thingy might be a good idea?

7. Yossarian

Original Member

Personally, I wouldn't switch tracks in the middle of the trailer. Should probably just play the second song the entire way through, and try to time the promo blurbs with breaks in the beat...

Also, if you have 8 great themes, I'd think about showing more than two of them. Maybe only stay on one theme for one block "action", and then switch on the beat continously...

8. Robert Cummings

Original Member

I'd be careful of how legal this is. You heard about the tetris fiasco? It is VERY similar to lumines.

9. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I initially thought he could be in trouble too, but you can't patent game ideas. Then again, the reality is that he needs deeper pockets than Ubisoft's (Lumines publisher) lawyers, and he probably doesn't - if it ever came to a court battle. I mean, except for the music and backgrounds, it's 100% exactly like Lumines. The interface, though not pixel-perfect, is exactly how it was designed in Lumines.

Even directly from Verticube's webpage: "Verticube is a Lumines Clone". THAT could get them in trouble.

10. maksum

Indie Author

In my opinion, it would be very smart to monitor these PSP puzzle games and if you can swing it, make a PC/Mac "clone." - Of course making it different enough where you're in no danger. I guess I'm saying, look to some of these games for inspiration. The PSP is very popular, and people are doing searches for these games. If someone loves lumines, they may be very interested in your game in addition to their PSP version, or instead of it because they don't own a PSP.

Someone should keep an eye on "Smart Bomb" coming out on PSP. Also, if you're able to, make something like Mercury. That is an AWESOME game - Super Monkey Ball meets a 3-D Gish-like mechanic.

Anyway, These PSP games will create the market - you just need to jump in there and grab a piece of it. - Not that it's that "simple", but I do think there is an opportunity there.

Mike

11. SLUDGE

Original Member

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've talked it over with the guy cutting the movie and we're going to take it all into consideration.

Regarding legal issues: I don't make public statements about legal matters. :)

Thanks again

EDIT: To DanDanger who said nice music: Thanks! The guys who did it are Robeterproductions ( http://www.robeterproductions ). They are pro, with tons of film and tv on their resume, but are trying to break into the game industry. If you need music for your game, I'm sure they could accomodate you. Tell them Mike from Frogtoss sent you (they'll get a kick out of that) :)

12. impossible

Original Member

I think this game is a great example of how important polish is. While this game and Lumines are very close mechanically, Lumines has a lot more polish. The front end is far better, there are a lot more effects in game, better sound, etc. You said you spent 3 days putting this game together? I suggest you take some extra time to polish the game more.