Hello indie gamers! I got a question

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by wouldyoukindly, Feb 17, 2016.

1. wouldyoukindly

wouldyoukindly New Member

So first off Hello everyone I am totally new here and am excited to become one with the indie gamer community. Now I have a question as an aspiring game maker myself what games do you think i could really learn from. I am looking for game that you guys think have exceptional design choices that others should really try to learn. What ever you think it is, it can be character progression, level design, good dialogue or even pacing in games. I'm looking for a wide variety of games from indie to triple A. Show me what you got gamers!

2. Frozen Cube

Frozen Cube New Member

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here :)

Look, I don't have any recommendations of specific games to look at, but I'd say look at other indie games to get a good idea of what worked and what didn't work. That's a great place to start. Otherwise, there is a YouTube channel called ExtraCredits which deals with the theory of game development and also teaches you a whole lot of awesome things. I'll link them below ;)

ExtraCredits: https://www.youtube.com/user/ExtraCreditz

Hope this was helpful!

3. Rekusi

Indie Author

Id say a game recommendation is purely based on the type of gameplay you are looking to produce.

Lets use BioShock and Infinite for example. Both are FPS so what makes them so special?
    1. Each has a unique environment that makes you want to see more.
    2. They have a story line you can follow
    3. They have worlds beatifically crafted which I consider a work of art. I once read 2k spent a lot of time in making sure the water in Bioshock looked like actual water.
    4. Both are well balanced to ensure you dont get stuck for too long in one place
    5. They have difficulty levels to cater to anyone from noobs to pro shooters.
    6. They are inherently addictive since each level is unique in its own way.

And you can see thoughts in smaller games like Leo's Fortune and Two Dots. Different levels = different themes = makes you wanting more. The music in Two Dots is most interesting. Ive played the game just to literally listen to the music. And hey while the game is on, let me also play a bit lol. Its a fine balance of all aspects. It cant be too different and be unplayable, etc.

Frozen Cube and wouldyoukindly like this.
  4. wouldyoukindly

wouldyoukindly New Member

Hey thanks a ton for your input. Extra Creditz has been a great resource I look forward you more of their content

5. fireside

fireside New Member

I would say Brothers: A tale of two sons. Telling a story without dialog. Variety in gameplay. Didn't get caught in a specific genre. Good use of 3d environment.

6. depad

depad New Member

To learn the basics of programming, it's best to try to replicate some 2D games made with the engine that your using. Then you can move on to 3D as you feel more comftorable

7. NITETIME Studios

NITETIME Studios New Member

Howdy and welcome!

Our suggestions for an aspiring game developer as yourself, is to become as comfortable and as confident in scripting/coding. Whether it is in C# or Java, once you learn and understand scripting, putting an idea together is simple and easy. The biggest challenge would be your willpower and creativity. What game engine do you plan on choosing? We are using Unity at NITETIME Studios, we've been using/ working in Unity for about 2 years now and we are extremely pleased with the engine. If you're interested in Unity their site is as follows: http://madewith.unity.com/ and the cool thing about the site is that they have tons of tutorials and an amazingly well flourished asset store.

Moreover, we recommend starting off with simple 2D platform projects. It will help with understand how the player moves, interacts with the scene/object/enemies, UI design, and all of the other basic elements. As far as games, some great examples are games like Super Meat Boy, Moonlight, VVVVVV, and Metroid. These games are a great representation of a simple and clean game with basic mechanics.

Lastly, I would recommend starting off your game development journey with a simple Memory game, using objects or cards. There are plenty of tutorials around the world wide web.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

The NITETIME Studios Team!

8. beefmilk

beefmilk New Member

What games do you enjoy? When developing a game I think that you should design one based off the games you like to play. Who are your target players? What sort of art mediums and tools are you using. 3d/2d its all very subjective and developing a good game could only come from your personal interest.

9. depad

depad New Member

Great advice. We checked out Nite Transfer by the way, really awesome game! :)

10. FoxVoid

FoxVoid New Member

I think the next 'popular' games are going to be open World MMO horror games. DayZ is a good example but a badly optimized game

11. Tarvin

Indie Author

Some suggestions that come to mind:
    Rts games: Command and Conquer up to Red Alert 2 which was one of the best and the last good one before EA happened.
    Axis and Allies, an rts based on an old board game.

TBS: Alpha Centauri, an old but good one that i think is considered abandonware.
    Civilization series.

Side scrolling adventure goodness:
    Commander Keen series.
    Duke Nukem 2 where the focus was on gameplay and action... Not remarks and staring at women while you try to find where the is hidden like many later installments.
    Captain Cosmic: DOS platforming bliss

Sim building types:
    Tropico 4, my current addiction
    Theme Park and semi-sequel Theme Hospital for a bit of challenging but fun insanity.

FPS:
    RenegadeX, a free fan remake of Command and Conquer Renegade, the only FPS in the franchise and a wonderful tactical FPS. Both are great.

Thats all fot the moment.

Edit: A few more

Raptor: Rise of the shadows for a great take on forward flying top down bullethellesqe fun.
    Major Stryker, another bullet hell type game

The Descent series for a great flying/combat game
    Starfox 64, enough said
    Battlezone: Rise of the Black Dogs for N64 for a wonderful rts/tank combat hybrid
    Ace Combat series
    Rogue Squadron series for a more open space flying game

#11 Tarvin, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016