Has anyone used eNet to do cross-platform networking?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Raptisoft, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Raptisoft

Indie Author

I'm trying to write myself a very simple networking library so I can jump back into multiplayer game writing.

RakNet is simple to use, but is expensive, and the license is per game.

After scouting around, I found e-net, which is simple to use, but is perhaps a bit *too* basic for me. I want to use it, but is there anyone who would be willing to answer questions about it?

Thanks,
    John

2. Vino

Vino New Member

I'm starting on the Linux port of my game which uses eNet, but I haven't actually gotten the cross-platform part working yet. But I have gotten it working for just Windows. What's up?

3. alexionne

alexionne New Member

I made some simple tests with ENet - server was Linux app, and client was Window app, and it worked very well. I'm now rewriting network part of one of my projects to use ENet (both client and server are in Java - Linux server and Windows client) in order to switch from TCP to UDP.

4. Raptisoft

Indie Author

I just wanted to see if anyone got it working... there seems to be a dearth of information on Google. In particular, I wanted to know if it was portable to iPad. I'm trying to make my networking cross platform.

5. Vino

Vino New Member

I haven't gotten it working personally yet but I see no reason to believe it doesn't work. Talk to me again in a couple days and I'll have more proof.

edit: Nevermind I got it working today. Works fine.

#5 Vino, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011