Hardware and bandwidth requirement for a games server

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by dimco, Mar 16, 2022.

1. dimco

dimco New Member

Hi,

I am working on a new project and so far it is going according to plan, I am now trying to get some specs as to what hardware and bandwidth required to host this.

If you think of something like Mindcraft type of game, but with 10'000 active users playing it, what hardware and bandwidth should I be looking at ? I am hoping this will explode and have 100'000+ active users so hardware will increase.

Currently it is hosted on our own server on a Gb leased line, we have only tested the demos with around 20 active users because we are trying to keep the project private, but soon would like to move this to a dedicated server, I have looked around at dual xeon 48c / 96GB and SSD Raid but really have no idea what the boundary and limits are for online gaming.

The info may be thin so please let me know if you need more clarification.

Many thanks

2. VanToRia

VanToRia New Member

That will depend a lot on the engine that you're using and the way your server application will be built. If you're looking to build a server for a high player count per server, you might want to look into creating a custom server application instead of a generic engine-built server. That way, you'll reduce the overhead.

You should also think about regions because latency is going to be an important factor if you're trying to connect all of your players in the same region. Generally, games will split their userbase into regions so they can all connect to the best server based on latency.

Finally, you will need to test your server application with load tests to figure out the upper limit of your server application on the hardware that you want to use. There is no simple way to calculate that without having the server application running.