Great BIG War Game - Out now on iOS and Android

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Applewood, Jul 18, 2012.

1. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

Applewood,

Would it be possible to share sales by platform so far? IPhone vs IPad vs Android?

How did the Develop conference go? Were there a lot of attendees?

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Nothing to report so far other than its gone a bit better than the first game a couple of days in. That might not be surprising given the brand has a little recognition now, but (believe it or not) I wasn't arrogant enough to expect it by rote, and am boody relieved it's going well. We will probably do a post portem, but not for a few months.

Develop went really well, the stand was packed more or less all the time. I'd do it again, but organise the shifts on point duty a bit better next time - got a bit hectic at times. I pity the couple of guys that were there by themselves!

3. electronicStar

Original Member

is there a demo version?

4. Applewood

No. Games like this aren't shown in their best light as you need the tutorial and stuff, which is "meh" by default.

5. teoma

teoma New Member

You guys did a great job on the promo video too - it looks really cool.

6. Applewood

Thanks, take a bow David Moss.

7. iNCEPTIONAL

iNCEPTIONAL New Member

So unfair is this world.

I can't even get 2.5 sales of my game!

When I say 2.5 I don't mean 2.5 million...nor 2.5 thousand...or even 2.5 hundred...I don't even mean 2.5 tens of copies...I mean quite literally 2.5.

Well done though guys.

8. Bad Sector

Original Member

Oh come on, you just placed the games yesterday on IndieCity and Indievania. You already have four users in IndieCity (i assume those are four sales since there is no demo, right?).

Aren't you a bit impatient? Some people had to wait months before their first sale!

Also spread the word about the game. Placing it in Indievania or Indiecity is far from enough.

9. iNCEPTIONAL

iNCEPTIONAL New Member

Actually, two of those reviews are from the site and they were testing the game before putting it on the store so they were given free copies.

At the moment I have two glorious sales of this game worldwide...

I am a bit impatient but given the situation I'm pretty sure that game is only going to sell a few copies in it's lifetime at this rate, and I really do mean a few, unlike Great BIG War Game.

Now that is a success in terms of sales!

Edit: Mind you, it does say "players" and not necessarily "sales" on their video and I guess I have had around thirty five thousand total downloads of the game across all versions and all platforms it's been released on.

Still, I'd by happy if I just SOLD a few thousand copies of Light Hero for PC.

#29 iNCEPTIONAL, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  10. Desktop Gaming

Don't know who you are or what your game is but I've been programming since 1986, had my first game published in 1994 (which bombed spectacularly, Pearl Harbour fashion), tried Shareware and Licenceware routes which were equally bad. It's only really since 2001 that I consider anything I've done to have been worthwhile (financially).

What I DID get from all the other stuff, is development experience that I still use and value to this day. You cannot buy experience so abject failure is something you just have to suffer, I'm afraid, and keep going.

11. lennard

Feels like we are hijacking but the title is still in play so Applewood is probably doing OK.

35K downloads suggests to me that you would be doing better with a different business model. Have you looked at Open Candy for PC and putting ads into the android version? Where did the 35K downloads come from?

12. EddieX

EddieX New Member

Can't even beat that damned Tankmageddon on All Out War. Slow down on the releases until I catch up.

13. TimS

Original Member

Saw this in the "featured" section on my iPad...

So that should help. :)

Congrats all around.

14. Applewood

lol, can't complain - I've done it enough to other peoples. :)

15. Nexic

Indie Author

iNCEPTIONAL, your game isn't selling because it's a retro space shooter. Even the good ones don't sell. I know first hand since I've made a fair few of them myself.

It also has nothing different or special about it to make it stand out from the other 20 billion games like it, most of which are free. To be a success you need to have a game that stands out from the crowd, just like GLWG/GBWG does.

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes I don't know why people still bother doing space shooters nowadays thinking to make any money out of it. It's written in stone that shooters don't sell!! You need to do better "market research" next time, BEFORE starting a game. I speak from experience coming from years of failures :D

17. lennard

While largely true his price point of $0.99 is half a coke at McDonalds so if it was a game I wanted to play I would have Paypal'ed up. I wouldn't have dug out a credit card - at that price point it's about convenience and desire - but a cool asteroids game with his graphics (which I like) might have got me. Top down shooter as implemented... not so much. I agree in principal with Teoma's comment about characters but the ones that are in that game have this lip synching thing that kind of put me off - less can be more.

18. electronicStar

Original Member

I'd take 35,000 sales at €2.5 over 200,000 free downloads with ads any day

19. Applewood

Pass!

(lol, sorry)

20. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Congrats on the release Paul. Hope it does at least as many sales as GLW.

JC