Google Analytics

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by PeterM, Nov 14, 2005.

1. PeterM

Original Member

If this works well, it could be quite useful for the indie struggling to attract more site visitors & customers.

http://www.google.com/analytics/

I saw it on Binary Moon, sorry if it has already been posted here.

2. soniCron

Indie Author

Yep. I wondered how long it would take before Google wanted to offer a free tracking service. Mention "free toolbar," and you'll hear a roar of opposition. Mention "free tracking," and you'll hear nothing but a lone cricket.

3. Mark Currie

Indie Author

Google bought out Urchin--which this is based off of. Urchin used to cost $200 a month. I'm definately going to give this a try.

4. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

Shows you how much Google values your site data.

5. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Is there any way to set the time zone in Google Analytics? I assume it defaults to PST.

6. Savant

Original Member

I signed up at the start of the week and it's really nice! Shows a breakdown of which pages get visited, what page people were on when they left the site, the trail of clicks, etc.

All of that for simply inserting 5 lines of Javascript into each page header. Awesome!

7. soniCron

Indie Author

Is this in beta? It's been quite buggy and strange even since I first signed up. In the beginning, I was getting a lot of 404 errors while browsing the site. Now I've got one website that's showing only a small fraction of the actual people visiting and another site showing 0 visitors despite there being more than 50 per day. Despite both trackers being correctly installed, I get warnings that something needs to be done. When I click to find out what more needs to be done, it says every is done and working fine.

Anybody else experiencing these or other problems?

PS. I've been using TraceWatch and PHPMyVisites, and they seem to do the job fine for anybody needing to track general traffic. Worth checking out if you don't feel comfortable sharing your usage statistics with Google.

8. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

The folks at places like Click Tracks can't be too happy.

I use ClickTracks myself. Though I guess it still has the advantage of not having to add additional code to your webpages. It just parses your log file. But then again ClickTracks is almost $500. I probably wouldn't mind adding a few lines of code to my page headers to save half a grand. Then again, I'm not quite comfortable with having a huge 3rd party company have access to all my site logs, even if it is Google.

9. simonbowerbank

Original Member

Its pretty slow. It hasnt updated my stats for the last two days yet. Maybe its due to the amount of people signing up.

10. soniCron

Indie Author

I'd just like to mention that a cool feature, "Overlay", is back up. If you're unfamiliar with "Overlay," then check it out now -- very cool!

11. revve

Original Member

Sigh, yes. Google Analytics. I've signed up for an invite months ago, and am still waiting...... Oh well - gotta be patient.

12. BlueWaldo

Original Member

I think you just need a gmail address. If you need an invite to get a gmail account PM me your email address and I will send you an invite.

13. Cartman

Indie Author

Thanks soniCron.

I've been waiting for that feature. I heard they had turned it off for awhile. Glad to see it back. Fantastic to see where people are clicking on your web site and how often. Helps to understand what draws people in, and possibly turns them away.

14. mahlzeit

Original Member

Doesn't work for me. When I try to log in with a gmail address, it still says you need an invite.

15. revve

Original Member

Didn't work here either. I was one of the fortunate first people to get a gmail account and when I tried to sign up with it it didn't work for me either.

16. Mark Currie

Indie Author

I have a Google Analytics account but not a gmail account. I signed up with analytics back on Nov 14th. Unfortunately, I didn't see a way to send invites to people.

17. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I have loads of gmail invites if anyone wants one.. pm me.

- S

18. revve

Original Member

From what I read on Google's site, it seems people can't send invites. You pretty much go to the sign up screen and then enter your name and e-mail address. Google will then send invites themselves on a first-come-first-serve basis as they get enough server capacity to host people.

EDIT: I predict that in 6 months, Gooogle will have sorted out their problems, and Google Analytics will most likely be available for everybody (look at GMail - at first people were begging everywhere on forums and sites to get invites and now look at where it is)

19. revve

Original Member

Sorry for dredging up old threads, but:

Whoohoo! Got my Google Analytics invite!

That and this is an excuse for my 200th post. Hopefully somebody benefitted from at least one of them - unlike this one. :rolleyes:

20. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Whoohoo! Got my Google Analytics invite!

I signed up pretty much when they made it possible to sign up - actually, I was registering back then, but in the middle of the registering process I got this error page saying that they're full for the moment.. so I entered my email address and started waiting.

Got my invite finally couple days ago.