Good Free Font for Japanese localization?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Grey Alien, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Hi, can anyone recommend a good free font for Japanese localization?

I localized Spring Bonus to a bunch or Latin-char languages and it has done pretty good, so now I'm thinking I should possibly do Japanese after all (I was avoiding it due to extra hassle-factor). I know what to expect technically because I did Unwell Mel in Japanese for BFG, it's just that BFG supplied the font and I'm not sure I can legally use it.

Thanks in advance.

2. rioka

rioka New Member

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Great, thanks rioka!

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I'm bumping this because the links above didn't yield what I was looking for. To clarify, I'm looking for a font that contains a full set of Kanji (and Katakana and Hiragana) so that when the game text is translated to Japanese in unicode, my game can display those characters.

I found this site which has a bunch on but it's very thin on licensing information (I need a commercial use license) and also half the sites are in Japanese, so I can't understand them: http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html

Anyone else got a font they can recommend? Even if a small fee must be paid, that's fine.

5. mooflu

mooflu New Member

Take a look at Sazanami.
    I can't speak for its quality, but in a previous day-job life we've included it as part of a CJK bundle for one of our non-game applications.
    YMMV...

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Thanks for the recommendation. So is it free for commercial use because it's on SourceForce? I can't understand the Japanese :)

7. mooflu

mooflu New Member

Neither can I, but the README contains the BSD license. I assume they didn't put it there to mislead us latin character folks.

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Thanks . Funny I looked at the readme and saw kanji and closed it down. Shoulda looked closer.

9. rioka

rioka New Member

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yep I found that link thanks and have been going through them to see which are free for commercial use (and which ones I can understand the license on!)