Gamix- An open gaming platform?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by esrix, Oct 14, 2005.

1. esrix

Original Member

Found this during my daily visits to gamedev.net:

http://www.gamix.org/

This Pennsylvania based company is trying to make an open gaming platform. It has some interesting specs so far. Sounds like an interesting endevour.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon nor promoting the platform. Judging by the activity on the forums, there are a lot of questions seeing as it does not favor an API nor a specific OS. However, I figure it's something worth investigating, seeing as their targeting indie developers.

#1 esrix, Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  2. soniCron

Indie Author

It might be fun to develop for it, but open platforms have been tried a million times in the past, and they've all (obviously) failed. I think the opportunity for open gaming platforms will open up in the future, but not until the power wars settle down.

3. Vorax

Original Member

That's a hardware spec - without a software spec?? What's the point? It's just a list of components. Without a software spec to go with it, your pretty much on your own to develop...well...everything from scratch, even the boot code?!? Geez, I should make my own spec! I have a couple of minutes to spare...

The VoraX Game Console spec:

Intel P4 4.1 Ghz
    nVidia Geforce 6800GT (PCIE)
    Soundblaster Audiology 4
    1GB RAM
    40 GB HD
    100 MB Network card

There you have it!! Go forth and build your VoraX console! Spread the word and become a believer..... The VoraX open console specificiation will save us all!

Now everyone send me a dollar! And $.50 for any periphrial bearing the "VoraX" logo :)

4. AVataRR

Original Member

OMG ME TOO!

AMD Athalon 64 4000
    4096MB SDRAM
    nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX (512MB version)
    120GB HDD
    nForce 4 Motherboard

:p

I think it's a little stupid to promote a platform that's already open anyway, as another open platform. It's a fucking PC. Plug in a controller and it's your 'Open Platform Gaming Machine'. If you want a real open platform that isn't just a PC, you might be better served by:

http://www.gbax.com/devx2.html

or PocketPC or something.

5. mahlzeit

Original Member

Heh, I get a "bandwidth limit exceeded" error on the site. Yay for publicity. :)

6. Doofer

Original Member

indiegamer, the new slashdot?

7. whisperstorm

Original Member

8. princec

Indie Author

It's all just a hoax to scam VCs out of money. There is no market, let alone a product.

Cas :)

9. SquareDanceSteve

Original Member

there are much better markets to scam... the indie game developer market... rich bunch...

10. princec

Indie Author

LOL! They're not trying to scam us, they're trying to scam investors. Even Sun Microsystems fell for the Phantom - after they'd already been shown to be a scam! We ridiculed them at the time for it when they made the announcement and then when all had gone quiet many moons later we ridiculed them again :p

11. Pyabo

Original Member

Funny, according to this interview with Kevin Bacchus, the Phantom is still on!

Phantom interview

Sorry dude, but you missed your luanch by more than a year and you're still spouting this bullshit? It's time to pack it in.

12. princec

Indie Author

Gotta squeeze a bit more money out of those duped investors before blaming "market conditions" and folding ;)