GameMaker studio

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by RoastedBearcan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. RoastedBearcan

RoastedBearcan New Member

Im wanting to know how good GM Studio would be in terms of a top down 2d rpg with a more emphasis on story with some combat and if there is any tips to help me or any guides

2. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

A lot of tutorials online can help ya. got a few links on making one.

3. RoastedBearcan

RoastedBearcan New Member

Where abouts are they?

4. dragonslumber

Greenlit

I would avoid GameMaker in general. Although some good games have come from it, I think it's a reflection of how dedicated those devs were rather than the quality of the tools. From my own experience and from friends who have released games made with it, it's a pile of trash and only becomes worst as you add content.

I made my own engine in XNA a few years ago for a JRPG. I'd say I spent about a year part time on the engine and the rest on content (entering my fifth year in may) . XNA was easy to use, but because it doesn't have actual game making tools, it took a while to get the ball properly rolling.

At this point, I would rather go with Unity. Simple to use, easy to manage once the scope increases, great development tools, a ton of support since the community is so vast.

But really, bottom line, anything is better than GameMaker.

5. jevy1000

jevy1000 New Member

nah fam it aint that bad, i've been using it for about 2 months part time and i learned GML very fast...... but i most unity has way better content

6. jevy1000

jevy1000 New Member

btw i"m a game maker studio programmer for hire............... real cheap