Gamemaker or RPGmaker?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by mbubzr1, Oct 27, 2017.

1. mbubzr1

mbubzr1 New Member

I have a great game idea that i have been planning out for a while now. i dont quite have the resources to make it yet but am hopefully starting soon. its an rpg that is going to be mostly isometric but will also have sidescroller views for certain areas. i want it to kind of have a similar feel to the original fallout games. so should i use gamemaker or rpgmaker. i currently have gamemaker studio pro from humblebundle but rpgmaker seems to be specifically designed for games like this

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Give RPGMaker a try and see if you like it. I tried both. Personally, with my experience with Flash and ActionScript 3.0, I found RPGMaker to be fun but rigid and I quickly fell in love with GameMaker Studio.

If you don't have any coding experience though, you might be more at ease with RPGMaker. Yours to find out! Good luck.

3. Dupletor

Dupletor New Member

Depends on how serious your project is.
    Basically, if your game has 1 single piece of AI, go for GameMaker.

I've been developing a game in GMS2, it is very good, though full of glitches and limitations. I complement it with external control developed in C# and C++, and then it becomes a true monster.

In RPGMaker from what I see you hardly have any control over mechanics.

4. JanMilosic

JanMilosic New Member

Hi .. Im making a game and I need it a game partners .. Because I don t do it alone..

5. mbubzr1

mbubzr1 New Member

im pretty serious about. i want to start my own indie company and i know its a few years off but i want this to be the first big/profitable game. i have a great original story idea that i have been writing out for a while and am very excited about. i know eventually i would probably have to work up to unity or unreal but gamemaker or rpgmaker are my options right now. could someone also tell me what kind of limitations either gamemaker or rpgmaker maker have? there are certain aspects of this game that im not really sure are do able with gamemaker or rpgmaker

6. TheTodd

TheTodd New Member

Yeah, I've used both engines as well, they both have their plusses and minuses, and in a way, it's really dependant on both the game and your development skills. I second the idea of trying both out and seeing which works well for you. It might actually be better as one could be a bit easier for you to use, and that'll help you in the long run.

7. Lance Von Alden

Lance Von Alden New Member

If what you want is an RPG, I would rather use RPGMaker. Yes, GameMaker seems to be able to do a lot more, but without programming support it is very glitchy and you might find yourself struggling a lot with the engines more than with the game itself. RPGMaker has "limitations" but it already has implemented RPG engines you need and has a really nice user interface. And RPGMakerMV is fully customizable with Javascript, and fully able to port to many platforms, in case you don't wanna make only PC Games. Plus there is a lot of resources designed for RPGMaker games around, including code. I would recommend GameMaker only if you already have the engines worked up on your head and you only need to like place it on the game with the resources. As everyone said, try working with both. I would try to make a battle map (or whatever main engine your game has) and test on both how easy everything comes around for you.

Another reason I recommend RPGMakerMV btw, is that since you would like to learn Javascript for your games, then porting to Unity/Unreal might be easier. Am I right?

8. zizulot

zizulot New Member

Game Maker all the way, RPG maker is limited, and publishers like GOG doesnt even take em there, dont get me wrong Game Maker is not all Diamonds and Glamour as well, but in this case Game Maker > RPG Maker.

9. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

If RPG Maker can help you make your game faster, it might be a good experience to use it in term of developing a product from A to Z. It allows you to use libraries of pre-made graphics and musics with great ease which really cut into development time. There's nothing wrong with that when you start out. I've seen successful commercial projects using RPGMaker's libraries.

If you want to develop your programming skills though, there's going to be more to chew on with GameMaker. It will take longer to get a first version of your game up and running and require a lot of learning and debugging but you will eventually have more control in the long term.

My best piece of advice is focus on getting something done. Either make a very small, focused project to get you started or, If you plan a huge adventure, focus on planning a single chapter first.

10. zizulot

zizulot New Member

GameMaker > RPG Maker , why? Because honestly everyone is sick of those RPG Maker games already , and you have higher chance publishing it on platforms like GOG

11. zizulot

zizulot New Member

I used to make games with Game Maker , but now Im movep on , doing with Unity, Will try some engines as well later on , like Unreal etc

12. Lance Von Alden

Lance Von Alden New Member

Try to look around for Godot and tell me what you think. Seems like a good option these days. And they are trying to implement VR and AR support to it.

13. zizulot

zizulot New Member

Will check it