Game Videos and Copyright Violation

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Spaiz, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Spaiz

Original Member

Say if I decide to make a video trailer of a some developers's game by myself and then publish it on site/youtube, can it be treated as copyright violation? What do you think?

2. Nexic

Indie Author

Fair use I think. Same deal as showing screenshots on a news site etc

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Although IANAL, I'm pretty sure that this is fine as long as you don't try and pass it off as your own work.

But, despite NBAL I'm pretty dammed certain that no author in his right mind would sue you for giving him or his creation free publicity.

4. GBGames

Indie Author

Yes, it is a copyright violation. Fair use is something you need to prove in court before it can be considered precedent.

That said, while I agree with Applewood, there are those companies out there who feel a need to protect their brand from unauthorized publicity. George Lucas seems unwilling to let some people use Star Wars in some instances and looks the other way in others. I believe it was Viacom who sent YouTube letters saying that hundreds of videos were violating their copyright...even when those videos didn't. It's shoot letters out there first, ask questions later.

So if you're going to make a trailer as a fun project based on another work, and you don't think you're doing anything wrong (like misleading people into thinking it is really something else), go ahead and make the fan-film. Worst case? A cease-and-desist letter will arrive, and you have to take it down. It is not likely that someone will be willing to go through the hassle and expense of a lawsuit unless you show a willful disregard for their rights.

5. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

Most indie developers would probably welcome the publicity. Simply ask for permission in writing. Note that Fair Use doesn't exist in Britain and generally the copyright laws are more restrictive than in the U.S.

Mark

6. Obscure

Indie Author

It depends entirely on why you are making/publishing these videos. If it is some sort of game review podcast then it would come under Fair Use but other uses might count as copyright infringement.

7. Escapee

Original Member

I have thought about doing the same thing to boost the affiliate marketing, but then was put off by concern on copyright and also time constraint ( i have already maxed out my working time ).

I agree with Obscure that game review would come under fair use.