Game Maker Problem

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by JPressDigital, Oct 24, 2011.

1. JPressDigital

JPressDigital New Member

Hi im a total noob at making games so game maker was a perfect place for me to start and my first game is well under way but i am having an issue and i wonder if anyone here can help? I can't make a character walk up a slope i can make a slope solid but he wont walk up it. Any help is welcome please and thank you

2. papillon

Indie Author

This is not the right place to post GM questions. Ask on the GM forums.

3. JPressDigital

JPressDigital New Member

i did and they were no help and i see i'll get none here either

4. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

There are plenty of old tutorials out there that show how it's done. Do a quick Google search and you should be able to find them. Failing that, YoYo has some tutorials that used to be buried on their site so you might have to dig for them. Try searching their forums as well. The information is there.

5. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Under the heading of generic game play programming... do you know what kind of slope you are standing on when the character moves left and right?

If you do then you derive the change in height from the amount moved in X. If your backgrounds are complex (ie. not just a simple slope) then you might either pre-compute a table of ypositions that would correspond to every X position in your world or carry a set of yoffsets for every tile that could be stood upon.

6. JPressDigital

JPressDigital New Member

thank you both very much

7. electronicStar

Original Member

lookup "granma platformer engine"