Game Idea

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Brisingr Blaze, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Brisingr Blaze

Brisingr Blaze New Member

I have an idea for a game I am wanting to do, I have a small (maybe 10 people following even though the facebook page I have for it has nearly 20.) following. It is/will be a text based RPG. Right now I have a forum set up for it, and all the posts in the forum are the area descriptions. I have a chat box set up on the bottom of the home page for people to RP in the areas in as close to real time as possible versus a RP forum that would be play by posts (which would if the players aren't paying attention, take away from the real time aspect that I would want.) The story is all my original concept. I have a backstory, and an idea of how I'd want to progress things via in-game events for the players. I've ran a few small in-game events nothing major to the story, mainly just to see how the forum would work until I could figure out how to get an actual website up and going for this with a chat box embedded into each area (webpage) for the players to RP in. The concept for using the webpages with the embedded chat box came from another RPG that I play... which is similar to how I'd want to have mine set up.

Ultimately, I would greatly appreciate some guidance in how I should go about this. I've looked around online at things I should learn, but would like to really narrow it down so I can star trying to get together a small team. Right now its just myself (storyline/concept), and I have a friend that reads over my area descriptions and edits for me if I get long and winded.

If anyone would like links I could provide them to show you what I have and what I am aiming for.

2. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

text base RPG? Similar to this:

If so then there a few things that will be in account, if not then it shouldn't be hard to get this off the ground.

3. Brisingr Blaze

Nope. I could point you to the website for the basis idea, but wouldn't want to break any rules accidentally. It's a completely full text based one. Where you'd register an account, go through a simple character creation (male, and human, plus char name) and you'd start off at level one. I don't want to model it *exactly* like theirs, as I don't want any claiming I am copying them, but the basis idea of it being fully text, and navigated by a navigation key, that links to separate part. Each page is a new page.

If it would help I could PM you the link to the site in question.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

You can post the link... don't worry I wont ban you :D

5. Brisingr Blaze

*eyes badges* Ooooh! Okay, its www.darkgrimoire.com < That is what I had in mind for my basis. A log in system, and all of that... if you make a test character on there it'd explain much faster than I could. I don't want to copy that/copyright blah blah, etc. Just a basis of what I would like to get started, and what direction I should go in or what I'd even need resource wise (money, etc.) stuff like that. I've been kicking this idea around for about 4 or 5 months now, but I've been wanting to do something like this for the last few years... but I am just now at that point in life where I really am driven to do something, and I am passion about this.

I'd greatly appreciate any help, tips, points.

6. Brisingr Blaze

Would something like this be too hard for just one person, or would it be something I could simply learn and put together?

7. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

No, it's rather easy. I've seen multiple swfs based on a similar text rpg that were built by 1 person.

8. Megaz Studios

Megaz Studios New Member

You could probably did that. The other thing you could do it add small random events to flesh the game up and make it seem like it is larger than it really is. Oh yeah you can use trans gaming elements in it and perhaps have it linking to a small alternative reality game. Send me a link maybe i will have a better idea if i have a look at it.

9. Brisingr Blaze

Swfs? What kinda steps would I need to start making it happen? I am mainly using my forum to store my area descriptions and to rp on until I can get a site like above up and going.

10. bantamcitygames

I just registered for the Dark Grimoire site just to see what the game play is like so I can better answer your question. This is a fairly simple asynchronous MMO setup. My guess is the page uses primarily PHP with a MySQL database backend and some fairly simple Javascript for the buttons (NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST etc).

The user first registers to create an account. This is a basic HTML form served from a PHP page that when the form is submitted it validates the information. If the info is invalid, it returns to the form and displays an error about which information was wrong. If the information is valid, then it puts an entry in the database for the new player and sends a confirmation email.

Once the user gets the confirmation email, they can go to the login page (another HTML form), when the user enters the login information, the back end PHP code will validate the login info against the database and either allow or deny the user to login. If the information was correct, they are then sent to the Starting point of the game.

From this point, the PHP code queries the database for every person/object in the player's current location (let's say tile 0x0) and displays this information for the user along with whatever actions are available in that location.

If the user chooses to move NORTH, this action calls the PHP code again, moves the player's position to 0x1 and then retrieves the information from the database for that tile and displays it to the user.

Rinse and repeat.

You can then get more complicated by allowing users to craft items from existing items and these new items would get added to the database in whatever tile it was added to.

There are other ways to create something like the above using Unity or other full-fledged game engines, but what I explained is my guess at how the Dark Grimoire site does it based on way it looks/responds.

11. Brisingr Blaze

That all in earnest sounds right, granted I only understood about half of it. I definitely know this won't be an easy over night project that can be done in a day, but I do wanna put the work into this. It's something I've been passionate about for years, but have never felt I was in the right spot to do it until now.

If this was your project, what steps would you take first? Would I need to learn PHP and how to make a database? As I know admin on there do have access to the database and can as you say, use the database to create items. I have messed around with HTML some, but I'm by no means overly good at it.

12. bantamcitygames

I would definitely learn PHP first and most tutorials will include examples of reading and writing to MySql. The HTML and JavaScript for a project like this are pretty minimal and can be copied and pasted from the web.

#12 bantamcitygames, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  13. Brisingr Blaze

Found these, it is from a sign where I was learning some HTML.

Along with a recommendation for this,
    Oh and I found a spot to download PHP.

Along with WebMatrix 3

Would it be good to download these and work in it? Or is there any preferences y'all might have? And sorry if it isn't okay to post those links. I can remove them, just some of the leg work I've done recently, just didn't know which way to go.

#13 Brisingr Blaze, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  14. bantamcitygames

I don't know much about WebMatrix... I don't do enough PHP coding to have a full-fledged IDE. I usually just edit in a decent text editor, then upload to my server to run. Friends of mine use a plugin for Eclipse that is made for PHP.

15. Brisingr Blaze

How would I go about getting a server? I don't want to think to far ahead, but just trying to get an idea. A game like this once up and running all but runs itself in terms of adding content to it. Like I've been doing with the forum version.

16. bantamcitygames

Where are your forums hosted? You might be able to use the same server. Almost any hosting plan these days includes PHP and MySQL. You shouldn't have to pay more than $5/month at least to start.

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/

17. Brisingr Blaze

My forum, I know I can pay to have the motionsforum part taken out so that it looks more professional. If I can't figure out how to get the site up and going that I am wanting, I was entertaining the idea of trying to make my forum more accessible to play on. My thing is, I would need to figure out how to make/add a separate chat box for each 'area' page.

18. bantamcitygames

Yeah, you'll need to get a real web hosting account with someone (I provided a list above) to use PHP and MySQL. These are basic provisions of almost all web hosting accounts these days.

19. Brisingr Blaze