Game Idea, Assistance Needed

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by 91252, Jun 23, 2016.

1. 91252

91252 New Member

Hi all,
    To be honest, I am very nervous by just making this document public. An irrational fear of idea theft, I suppose- but frankly, I'm running out of viable options and viable ideas. If I ever want to make this a reality, I'm going to have to (somewhat begrudgingly) consult the Great Internet for assistance. Enclosed is a link to my document, and I would deeply appreciate this community's input! Thank you, and here it is:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-t4Lyjw7kTv0nLb_uBxDrfMV_2mfJlBqMMRD5C_mTF0/edit?usp=sharing

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

You need to work on a clear, to the point synopsis of what your game is about. You have here some ideas about specifics that I can't really piece together. Start with the mechanics of the game : what are the game pieces, how do they interact together and with the game world, what does the player do in the game, what are the controls.

Think about what you're trying to tell with the game. Because story and interactivity MUST come together. If your gameplay doesn't support your story or vice-versa, then something is wrong.

Don't be afraid about theft. Theft can happen on completed games, not rough concept. Now go back to work. :)

#2 kevintrepanier, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Scoper and DukeofRealms like this.
  3. 91252

91252 New Member

I really appreciate your comment-you see, I've been dreaming up game ideas since I played my first PC game a good few years ago (surprised it was Minecraft?;)), and to my own fault the conviction to pursue such ideas has arisen only recently. True, I should plan out and polish what I have much more before I scrounge around for new ideas, and I plan to do so. Thank you!
    Also (and this may muddy the water even more), the plan I have for this is that after an unknown event at an experimental facility, the player awakes in a crater of sorts surrounded by the ruin of the facility (cliché, I'm aware). After having to create a meager shelter with the salvage around them, they find random commodities of theirs begin to disappear. Tracking down the source of said disappearances, they find that the realm they awoke in is not alone- there are 5 others realities tangled with theirs, each exhibiting a different fate for the Earth if certain events were or weren't present (the AVs, as it was described in the document). These realities can be accessed by what seems by randomly appearing portals (dubbed tears), but are later discovered to come in and out with a rhyme and reason. The player relies on the AVs for other materials and necessities, so they must at first map out and time the tears to get in and out without harm, but they can later use high concentration energy to stimulate them and travel in and out on a whim, but with a price- each stimulation degrades the safety and structure of all the AVs, including the player's original AV, by small amounts each time. Not enough to destroy everything in 6-7 stims, but it will begin to have drastic effect with overly frequent use (say nearing the 1000s or more). In order to knit reality together, you must uncover every major constant among the AVs and find a way to pull all the AVs back into one 'common denominator' if you will, all while avoiding death by space (AV1), the occasional prehistoric creature (AV2), superheated plasma (AV3), rogues and plotters hidden under a utopia (AV4), and small doses of radiation (AV5). And if that doesn't get you, the Revenants will.:eek:
    Suited to a small co-op team experience and designed not for the faint of mind.
    Or.. you know, something like that. ;)

#3 91252, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  4. 91252

91252 New Member

Also, any references I make there that aren't understood are probably explained in the link.

5. Aspire_0.o

Aspire_0.o New Member

I highly agree with Kevin. You have a good start but should try drawing out organizers. Like a tree diagram. The trunk(weirdly the top) should be the name of your game, then split it into the largest pieces besides the game itself. Continue until you have all bits and pieces on the graph. And don't be afraid to put the diagram aside and comeback to it. Often you might have to add things in sometimes high up, so leave extra space

6. 91252

91252 New Member

Gotcha. Thanks!!

7. Scoper

Indie Author

I recommend using a different format for your design document. What you have now is almost impossible to understand for anyone who isn't working on the project. And it has too many details. Many diffent levels of abstraction mixed together make it hard to read.
    Personally, I prefer beginning with what is usually know as the "One-Sheet" or "High Level Design Document" or "Concept Document". Formats vary, but I like this one:
    • Game Title (or working title)
    • Version number
    • Genre
    • Concept: one or two paragraphs describing the essence of the game
    • Story: brief overview
    • Platforms: which platforms is the game intended to be released on
    • Gameplay mechanics: the core interactions between the player and the game
    • Technology: which technologies and tools and engine(s) will you use to build the game
    • Target group: who is likely to play the game
    • Unique selling points: list four to six reasons why your game is unique and people in the target group will enjoy playing
    • Scope: How big is the project? What is included? More importantly, what is NOT included in the scope?
    • Visuals: Some mock-ups and concept art illustrating art style and user interfaces.
    In spite of the name, your One-Sheet will probably be one to five pages long.

Overcoming your fear of idea theft and making your document public is a wise decision. The risk of someone stealing your idea is a million times smaller than the risk of no-one noticing or caring.

8. Forrest Lowe

Forrest Lowe New Member

I'd be happy to help, I'm experienced with game program, and I love working on games, just contact me.

9. 91252

91252 New Member

Really? That's fantastic! And honestly, I'm rather relieved- I haven't the slightest bit of knowledge in coding. I plan to change this, but following game development is always dedication to the craft. Right now, I'm just the guy who comes up with the nonsense.;)

Forrest Lowe likes this.
  10. Forrest Lowe

Forrest Lowe New Member