Game Facts that people might not know

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Addictive 247, May 2, 2007.

1. Addictive 247

Indie Author

In our latest newsletter we gave the readers some facts relating to Coin World and Coin Planets that people probably wouldn't know.

I thought it would be interesting to read about other game facts from the developers of games on these forums.

Here's my facts:

Over to you . . .

2. LilGames

LilGames New Member

Hmmm...

Game: SPORE CUBES by Spore Productions
    www.lilgames.com/cubes.shtml
    www.sporecubes.com

Fact 1: First released in early 2000 on Compuserve as "BlockBreaker", it was the first web implementation of a "same game" gameplay mechanic.*

Fact 2: Released on own website later in 2000, as "Spore Cubes".

Fact 3: It was an instant "hit" (by Flash game standards). "Addictive" was the common opinion, and many emailed us asking for a download version.

Fact 4: There has never been a download version available. (But we do sell a version on 3" collectible CD-ROM.)

Fact 5: 6-9 months later, Gamehouse releases "Collapse".*

Fact 6: LilGames.com owes its success to the popularity of "Spore Cubes".

Fact 7: The game has been reskinned and licensed to several companies.

Fact 8: It was never free for people to use on their websites, but thousands of websites did it anyways.

Fact 9: The J2ME mobile port was released on an Italian mobile carrier and stayed in their top 3 game sales for the first 3 consecutive months. (Other territories still available!)

* All claims can be verified via Archive.org "WayBackMachine".

#2 LilGames, May 2, 2007
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  3. bignobody

Indie Author

Nice thread!

Game:Shlongg by NotSoft

Fact 1:The inspiration to make a 3D breakout game came from a quick flash based breakout game I made in a few hours for a friendly competition at my day job. It killed a lot of people's productivity around the office.

Fact 2: The original name was "BlokkBuster", but when I got serious about it I realized the people at Blockbuster video probably wouldn't be too happy about it.

Fact 3: I went with the name Shlongg to avoid having to do a legal name search. I was pretty certain it wouldn't be taken already ;)

Fact 4: The tunnels between levels was a complete afterthought. Originally, the back wall just opened up and the whole level "scrolled" forward to the next one.

Fact 5: The tunnel was probably the main reason it took so long to finish. The 3D math it involved is much more complicated than the main game.

Fact 6: The inspiration for some of the Shlongg warriors are loosely based on Wilbur Whateley's brother from H.P. Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror". - "great bulgin' eyes all over it... ten or twenty maouths or trunks a-stickin' aout all along the sides, big as stove-pipes an all a-tossin' an openin' an' shuttin'... all grey, with kinder blue or purple rings... an' Gawd in Heaven - that haff face on top...

Fact 7: Leonard Gopaul, a friend who did the music and who was one of the game's biggest supporters didn't live to see it finished :(

Fact 8: I left the cheat codes in, but they must be enabled by a command line switch ("/LETMECHEAT").

4. Addictive 247

Indie Author

So far 2 out of 3 entries have sad facts included.
    Fact 2 by me and Fact 7 in the post above. Hope we don't start seeing a trend of sad tales :(

5. JoKa

Indie Author

In my platformer Frutti Freak I included some strange people from the german version of "Jungle Camp" or however this sick tv-show is called internationally. They were used as background gfx, as a gag in some hidden areas. But later I removed them because the game took much too long to finish and no one would have remembered them anyway ;)

Penguin vs. Yeti was planned as a free minigame in opposition of the Yeti Sports series, where penguins were mistreated. In PvsY players should be able to strike back at these ugly furballs. I failed to keep it mini and after many months it had turned into a platformer with 30 complex levels.

Feyruna was originally supposed to become a match-3 game with some new twists. After testing several variations of the gameplay, I had to accept that the features would not fit in this kind of game, no chance to balance them. So I only kept parts of the story and trashed everything else except a match-2 minigame. Guess it was ok to fail with the match-3 concept ;)

6. ragdollsoft

Original Member

I'd say a more appropriate title would be "Facts about games people do not know" :p

7. Yield

Yield New Member

Did Arcade Lab get permission to clone your coin games? Superstar Chefs seems like to your games.

8. soniCron

Indie Author

Wha...? Who let this guy in here?! :rolleyes:

9. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I think Superstar Chefs came first actually.

10. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Yep, Superstar Chefs came before Coin World

11. joe

joe
    Original Member

Temple Of Tangram was an experiment to test if we are able to complete a whole game in 3 weeks.... well, you guess it, it failed!

Psychoballs was done completly part-time. I and Ed, the graphican, met us 2- or 3-times a week in the evening to drink beer and work on it. Damn... that was a fun time :)

Absolute Blue was originally planned as a improved Space-Taxi clone but now it is a classical 2D-Shooter.

12. Ola

Ola
    Indie Author

Superstar Chefs (released in april 2003) came before Colin the Coin games, and was a lot different to other indie / casual platformers at that time. Most indie platformers were Loderunner clones back then.

It's not likely you will see clones from Arcade Lab. In fact, while most people seem to compete who can clone the current top ten hit the fastest, Arcade Lab seams to be one of the few studios that still release new and original concepts / ideas to the market.

Arcade Lab start trends rather then copy them, like the nowadays overused Egypt and Atlantis themes, or the trophy room you can see in almost every casual game nowadays etc.

#12 Ola, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

My first "X Bonus" game was called Fruitola and had a match 3 grid of fruit floating in space or clouds and the title screen origially had a giant cherry on it :)

14. tagged

Original Member

hehe, I've actually got about 40 different little facts on my upcoming (first shareware!) game that I am including as hidden easter eggs that players can find.. I'll throw one on here:

Gladiator Trials 1 was a freeware game that was released in early 2005, after 9 months of development with 90% of the work being done by 1 person in their spare time. Gladiator Trials II took over 23 months, again with one person doing everything except the music and story.

Well, 23 months of work is based on it being released next month.... So fingers crossed :p

#14 tagged, May 18, 2007
    Last edited: May 18, 2007
  15. Bad Sector

Original Member

Nikwi took me 2-3 weeks from start to finish with everything done from scratch (except a few helper libraries, such as my UndeadScript scripting engine and libbadcfg config file parsing library). A few days later i released the first patch. A year later i released the source code. Never made a dime from it, but i had the satisfaction of developing it and seeing it rise in popularity among free linux games. People loved it, it's included in the unofficial Ubuntu repository and it's gonna be in the official Debian repository some time soon.

There are two easter eggs in there. The first is a reference to a person close to me which is hidden in the structure of the levels. The second is my face :)D) in the last level. You need to wait 30-40 seconds before it appears (it replaces Nikwi's photo in the portrait with mine :D).

Square Shooter took me nine days to develop. It has some kind of simplistic gameplay which seems to be more addicting than i originally thought - in fact i was kind of surprised by the people's reaction. Also is the first game to bring me some cash. Not anything spectacular, but it paid the rent so i'm happy :).

A common thing with the above two games (except me as their developer :p) is that i've got many requests to convert them to Flash... beh.

16. alfie

Indie Author

Letto http://www.redgames.net/letto.html was concieved and created because it was inspired by Scrabble and it's creator:rolleyes: . A word game inspired by scrabble, nothing new there I hear you say:eek: . You would be right, but the main reason I made it was because I have the same name as him Alfie B :D . I am a Beardsley and he was a Butts, but I saw it as a sign:D .