Game Developing tools (ranked)

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Naitik126, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Naitik126

Naitik126 New Member

Hey guys, I am writing a very basic guide to game development and I need your help: I need a list of game making tools ranked by the difficulty and scope of the tool. The tool can or can not require coding.

My standards-
    Extremely easy- Sploder
    Fairly easy- Scratch
    Medium- ?
    Comparatively hard- Unity

Note- If you want to give me your own tips for game developing, feel free to do so (I will directly quote you)
    You can also include any other recourses or tools that you use in your games.

I will be extremely gratefully of your feedback.

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Medium maybe GameMaker

Yani Trudel likes this.
  3. Frozen Cube

Frozen Cube New Member

Hi Naitik126,

Firstly, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy it here! :)

Now, onto your question.. I found a page of game engines/tools on IndieDB a while back, maybe you'll find it useful. I don't recall it mentioning difficulty per engine (maybe I missed something and it does, you'll just have to check for yourself :p). He's a link to that page: http://www.indiedb.com/engines

Good luck going forward! ;)

4. Naitik126

Naitik126 New Member

Thanks, I did check out the page and it does contain a wide variety of engines.

5. SandmanZA

SandmanZA New Member

Personally I'd rank Unity as medium and maybe udk as hard, game maker is easy and blender game engine I'd say is hard as well.

6. devbyskc

devbyskc New Member

Hey Naitik126,
    I've been trying out various engines over the past couple years and here is what I learned and experienced. All the engines I tried had their pros and cons for me. I finally selected the below listed engines with my personal ranking based. Some of the engines mentioned could span two or more of your ranges depending on how in-depth you go with them. That being said here's my input:

EASY-Drag and Drop with good tutorials built in and installed assets to get you going
    • GameMaker (might be considered Medium if you get heavy into its scripting language use)
    • RPGMakerMV (also has scripting using JavaScript so could move to Medium)
    • ClickTeam Fusion2
    MEDIUM-more bells and whistles to learn but great support and lots of tutorials

• Unity (can cross to difficult when you get into scripting using C# as well as 3D
    • Visual Studio (I class as medium even though it is a "heavy duty" programming IDE. There are a number of books and tutorials for games using it though many I found were on the now depricated XNA framework. However the built in MonoGame/Xamarin replacements are easy enough to figure out the transition from XNA.)
    DIFFICULT-I rank these because I found them more in tune with 3D and appeal to AAA level development. For beginners, like me, I found them to have a steep learning curve compared to similar engines

• CryEngine
    • UE4
    As background I am relatively new to game development and still learning. I have a hobbyist programming background and also did some freelance web development. The switch to being a solo indie game dev has had its challenges but well worth it. Hope this all helps out your project and good luck.