Game Concept: Has it been done? Persistent unleavable MMORPG?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by CharlieP87, Aug 18, 2016.

1. CharlieP87

CharlieP87 New Member

working titles: Elder Scrolls Online (better)
    The Social MMORPG
    It Takes A Village

Some background on me. I'm an experienced PC gamer like most of us. I have a computer science background like most of us. I don't have mod or game dev experience like most of us. Let's skip to it.

Some background in gaming. We should be familiar with MMORPGs. We're familiar with Diablo, I want us to picture Diablo, there's a new genre now Post-Minecraft, I'll call it, build and survives, Life is Feudal, Medieval sand-box. 8-bit MMO fits next to Diablo. Half the time the entire skin of this game concept either fits into ancient civilizations, or half the time, the Elder Scrolls lore universe. This is most obscure of all , the The Guild series. Not Guild Wars, look for a top down family manager in renaissance European style , The Guild 2.

I've been considering a game concept to see developed or to see if you would be so kind, to find the closest thing to it off the top of your head. I'm imagining a top-down MMORPG (cut down on graphics for now, not focused). The game concept is never having the player character(s) leave the persistent world and social circles, completely leaving out all NPCs or AI. I don't know of ever playing a game with your MMORPG character persistently in the game. Feel qualified at this point to respond to this post. I'm going to go into more detail about the game I imagine and examples.

Why would anyone play a Computer Game with absolutely NO NPCs or AI characters?! Its not unheard of, think online chess or card games. No Interaction directly at the computer, or AI. The player's character remains present with Macros set by the player for their character while they are not present. Think gold bot farmers but acceptable, I digress. You would set how your character would respond to people, set permissions, a neat little check box screen of how your character acts. Are you selling something, are you offering a quest, are You offering experience points? Also add, will you wed people, will you allow others to influence your behavior, will you attack certain people in proximity? The macro of this appears like a Real Time Strategy such as Majesty, with no one in the Grand scheme of everything, the screen will be exactly the same as StarCraft, the micro of this is The Guild mixed with Diablo, level a persistent character or group of characters, all the characters are real and under player direction.

Why would anyone play in a MMORPG where your character is left alone and adrift on a Player Vs Player damage enabled server?! This is totally true, my idea is, you can be attacked while you are away, offline, your favorite character can be killed by someone giving it their full attention, you can somewhat be looted, your character is in permadeath. You'll come back, you're dead. Now I can only Hope to present Pros to distract you from that sentence. The player will not have a Substantial inventory right on their Person, consider it Banked. At least realistic, not 10 x64 of stone. Borrowing from the Guild as well as something I think is new, there are two options to be able to respawn. You team up with an opposite gender player (I'm considering realistic balancing mechanics) to spawn as your offspring, whose likeness to you depends on your training of the offspring. The second option being to be artificially Rewarded to play as one of the Animals , you know, Wow Mobs, as Actual Players, no NPCs, in time or player-kills or deaths, to be granted a respawn. This rewards two play styles, two options, you can set down roots, you can be marauding and killing, you can value just as much not dying constantly. The offspring takes 3 hours, the animal time is 3 hours.

Lets talk about Elder Scrolls, lets talk about Diablo, lets talk about The Guild, lets talk StarCraft, lets talk Sid Meier Civilization. What I am thinking all these mechanics lead to is civilization, socializing, the Social MMO. I have 3 Points of the social MMO.
    1. You will have preset affability, persuasive ease, with local people, who will, share a language, difficult for Others to Learn. This isn't new, this is done varyingly, DAoC MMO, others, learn languages. I fantasize, Elder Scrolls Imperials with the Voice of the Emperor being able to appear affable in all circles, a little example. Your local community can Build, Diablo I style buildings , or fantasy race or civilization styles. Other characters who have chosen the same Character Selection Design Choices might only spawn where there's your type of community as one of your offspring, related and affable to you, using your spawn point.
    2. With this affable quality earned or gifted, Other Players, Allowed or Merited, will be able to Influence the Offline activity of 3-10 (average 7) Other players! So now, this is not just a bunch of Offline character zombies standing, not only do you run Macros (scripts) of your offline activity, like a RTS , people you trust, Leaders, or, (the cunning), will control your character within some parameters, a game of influence. Perhaps you Belong your character to the City Guard, the City Guard Captain is 100% affable to your character, your character will just run where he says, die like he says and your 7 friends, like his own personal Starcraft RTS. Go zerglings.
    3. Players will form communities, cities, regional politics, perhaps only people within 400 feet can Develop their affability with you and around them over time, only certain numbers will be supported in your area because of food, artificial caps. towns, regions, politics will form, if a King has 7 lords who have 7 dukes, who have 7 counts who have 7footman, an oversized MMO Siege battle, maybe only 1 guy is online.

What is the Typical Player doing this whole time? Don't be too harsh, I'm a phased out Star Wars Galaxies Musician! Generally people will be good at 1 or 2 crafts, farming and ballroom dancing, skills they will learn, or jack of all trades, very limited. Most of a player's time, Typically, no one prevents the marauders , but just realistic work, done offline, in personal scripting, click a button, tend to house, tends the house while offline. Set 8 hours to storekeeping, back to housekeeping. 2 hours fieldhand, 8 hours storekeeping, back to housekeeping, and so on, is an example of scripting offline time, in real time. An Online player still, can be rewarded for Sane, Realistic tasking, or micromanaging their activities, socializing, Responding to messages. I have an Idea that, when people are Around, you set what Text your character says, you'll look like a Pokémon NPC, if they respond to it, it is Stored in your messages, you can make a dialogue in private messages from there. There will Not be a Regional chat at all.

I've had a few thoughts on practical development, surprisingly , StarCraft Scenario popped to mind. Its just so easily realizable, trigger creation, 8 players, you have to start somewhere. 0 range marines turning each other their faction instead of shooting each other. I really do expect that , with my constraints, I'm looking for a game that is a Host , that expands with a Development Kit, a mod, that is already multiplayer capable. That alone is daunting for me to come up with right now. Any Recent Real Time Strategy with a Development Kit package? An Editor? That would be Far more realizable than, From Scratch, or, a First Person Shooter, anything, Life is Feudal, anything like that, I imagine. I feel stuck on the StarCraft style Viewpoint, and Maps, with modern scalability, zooming out of your base, to the entire map, the region, out to 30 regions, etc, zoom back in on your 1 character space marine.

The Player had 5 registrations and tries to have 5 characters? Well, that's Considered! Perhaps the Receiving community and/or family, accepts or denies their spawn in a real conversation. online characters check, family opening check, community opening check, engage conversation check, I want to be your offspring, accept yes/no. Affability bonus, other bonuses to both. I think the focus is on going to be on community RTS style resources, does the farm support characters pulling weight, do the gold farmers get kicked out?

That's pretty spacious, please let me know, I'll enjoy your Gaming experiences, And game development experiences, this is in the Noob forum though. As I said at the top, please tell me if you've heard anything like this concept. I can't think of any. Thanks, CharlieP87.

#1 CharlieP87, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. ON Development

ON Development New Member

I think its a good idea but its way to ahead of its time. Ive thought about models like this before. the amount of people that need to constantly play the game has to be very high which is difficult. However, I would really like to see this idea come to life because I do believe that gaming will go in that direction. Also Sim City 4 had kinda of a similar online multiplayer were you would work with other real people citys

3. CharlieP87

CharlieP87 New Member

I haven't kept up with the Sim City like I should, a real mainstream title. It reminds me of, did anyone do Sims Online, before it suddenly shut down? No Idea why. Build your own place, get employees, people that use your facilities you created, quite interesting to do Sims Online. I'm still pushing, anyone with a gaming experience, in the Persistent World, that level of Persistent World, where your characters AND creations stay to be interacted with by players? Technically, as far as I can recall, no NPC in Sims Online! It almost feels replaced by Habbo Hotel minus $50. If the concept was a mod to an existing game, I'm more looking at StarCraft. The important part is yes, Relations, the important part is yes, Player versus Player, yes, a player Owning every unit at least. I don't know why this isn't in my main post, a major skill branch should be controlling the size of your control, family, or Guild like The Guild.

#3 CharlieP87, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. Topemu

Topemu New Member

i don't know. my first recommendation would be to make a short synopsis.
    your post was so long I didn't have time to even read it to be honest.

5. noahbwilson

Indie Author

It is EXTREMELY HARD to get such a game started... because the first person to play it would be extremely bored and leave. You'd have to start with like 10,000 players immediately... which is beyond me.

6. Topemu

Topemu New Member

just read it.
    seems like a cool idea. you'd just have to come up with some gimmick to make it populated.
    like some gameplay mechanic that people haven't thought of (time to put on your thinking cap!!) that will connect players together
    when the server/area is sparsely populated.

One idea that popped into my head was having the terrain/levels/areas somewhat under the control of the devs, so that it would modify to force players together so that no matter how few people are on the servers they would always be close by.

Basically you don't want to end up like No Mans Sky where everyone is mad at you because your game is boring and all you do is walk around alone in nothingness all day long, haha.