From indies to indies - Interview with Nexic

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Over00, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Over00

Over00 New Member

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Quite interesting read, thanks for doing the interview :)

3. tolik

Original Member

Congrats with 3K CCU! That's an A class league already!

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Good interview! Love to hear MMO startup stories

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Since I'm a well known bastard, I wanted to remind how you said that moving from Flash to Unity3d would have been a bad move for Nexic. (I can even find the original post if you want).
    ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR FAILURES!

p.s.
    NO MORE SARCASM, JUST STRAIGHT BASTARDS. :D

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

He makes my grumpiness seem positively flamboyant. :)

7. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

@Jack:
    listening to other people's ominous predictions is the best way to never achieve anything, just saying...

8. tolik

Original Member

Yes, I do.

I did indeed bet that Unity would fail by now. And they initially did on the web due to the clumsiness of install and crashing plugins.
    But they didn't fail thanks to AAA-class publisher support of the tech on mobile as they were the only viable option for iOS. So they've pushed their success back to the web and I'm really glad it has worked out for Nexic.

Both Unity and Dead Frontier came a looong way since 2008 (If I recall correctly, you are referring to that discussion). Dead Frontier is an A-class title now thanks to the awesome tech and Flash wouldn't have allowed that until today. At a point when you have a great game, the tech stops mattering. I've been saying the same bad crap about Java and look - MineCraft defies all that cause at a point when the content is exceptional, it stops mattering for players where it's a downloadable executable or a plugin. Plus Unity came such a long way in being installable into browsers without a relaunch, that it is a viable option. Now imagine Nexic re-exporting Unity back to Flash 11 now for wider distribution :)

Meanwhile, I wasn't completely off the scale - look at InstantAction and several more products using 3D web tech that are now defunct. I'm glad that Unity was and still is the safest bet back then.

Still, I'd like to hear some numbers from Nexic on the conversion rates to successful installs and plays from 2009 and now.

#8 tolik, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I think wasn't 2008 but more recent, but I was mostly trolling :D
    But yes, I agree that tech doesn't matter really much and Minecraft is the best example of that. Though honestly, is better to start with a tech that has cross-platform support built in (doing the Minecraft iPad port would have been instant with Unity).

10. Nexic

Indie Author

Glad you guys liked the interview!

Thanks. Although we've actually been managing 4k at peak times for a while now :)

I don't have any hard data on completed webplayer install etc, but anecdotally based on other stat trends, I'd guess that the Unity install is still hurting us VS flash. But as you rightly pointed out, back in 09/10 we simply didn't have any other viable options available to improve the game, and we never would of been as popular as we are now.

So, no I don't regret changing to Unity in the slightest. But if I were to do another webgame now, I'd probably head back towards Flash.