FreeArcade.com is launching revenue sharing

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by camadro, Jan 28, 2008.

1. camadro

camadro New Member

FreeArcade.com is starting a new program for game developers. You can get $.50 cpms for non-exclusive games and $1.00 cpms for exclusive games for ever. You will have no contract so you can take your game down if you wish. You can find out more here http://www.freearcade.com/game-dev/
    Any feedback on the idea will be looked into.

#1 camadro, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Looks like a cheap, amateurish setup, to me.

That page has popups (two opened in the 30 seconds I was on the site for) and is riddled with spelling mistakes. Not professional at all.

Wouldn't touch it with a very long stick, sorry.

3. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Same view here really.

4. camadro

camadro New Member

We fixed the grammer. All feedback is good. We have been in business since 1998, with good traffic and google rankings.

Thanks,

Jason

5. Sybixsus

Original Member

The site still has plenty of errors.

There should be no apostrophe in developers, as it's a plural.

"If your ready" The ready does not belong to me, you're asking if I am ready, so it's "you're".

Also, you might want to fix your first post in which you say the CPM's are 0.5 cents and 1.0 to match the site which (correctly, I assume) says 0.5 dollars and 1.0 dollars. At least I hope it's the site that's right because 0.5 cents per mil sounds pretty low. :)

6. Backov

Original Member

CPM means cost per thousand, not million. It's odd, I know. :)

7. Sybixsus

Original Member

CPM stands for Cost Per Mille ( often abbreviated as Cost Per Mil ) which I believe is the Latin for thousand.

8. Spore Man

Indie Author

Heh. Without ads, there is no revenue to share. ;)

I don't know why people are being so harsh. The site design is nice and clean compared to 95% of Flash game sites.

But 2 popups is pushing it though. 1 on a 12hr cookie is tolerable. I wouldn't count you out, since since your site seems to have about 4 times the traffic mine does. :D

9. OremLK

Indie Author

I didn't notice the popups myself, being that I use Firefox, but yeah, that's a pretty big turn-off to most web users today; better to just stick with banners in my opinion.

In any case, this deal would be a lot more attractive if there was a way to tell how many impressions each game is getting. Or at least hits.

10. camadro

camadro New Member

As far as game plays go it would depend on the quality of the game. However if you have a top 10 game it will be played 100-150 thousand times a month. If we could put together some of the best flash games in the industry traffic and revenue will increase. We are not going to put up every game that is submitted like other sites.

11. Michael Flad

Indie Author

Did I miss anything or does this mean we're talking about 1-2$ per month for the top titles?

So - one needs a topseller for years to just break even with the costs (i.e. time) of reading/signing the contract?

12. barrygamer

Original Member

As Sybixsus said, I think its $0.5 cpm (as in the url given) not ".50 cent", so you'd be a factor of 100 out. Reminds me of the Verizon math confusion . However, i'm a bit sleepy still, I could be confusing myself!

Edit: as for the site, I think it could be tidied up a bit (esp the ad placement + popups), but is OK. The domain name is good.

#12 barrygamer, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  13. Kaos

Original Member

This is what bad spelling and bad grammar make me thing of when I see sites like that:

[​IMG]

I rekon ya betsa git th' diktunery oot -n- frigger et oot!

Good luck with your site.

14. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Geez, give the guy a break! I've known Freearcade for years, good people. In fact sort of the reason I got started as about only source of revenue for our original Realspace games way back when. Once got those checks I was addicted.

fyi... Looks like they're talking sharing advertising for freebie online games in exchange for letting them host versions w/o any traffic draining promo/sponsorship links, etc. So for example say you sponsored your online game with us, this would be another outlet where could gain additional licensing revenue since we only required exclusives on sponsorship but do allow other site locked licensing.

15. KNau

Original Member

It's not even about the site. The people complaining can't get past the business model.

Yet this "amateurish" site has traffic that would make these developers weep with joy. More monthly visitors than the top developers on this site (excluding the portals of course).

16. Kaos

Original Member

Oh it's all in good fun! I mean that IS what games are SUPPOSED to be, right? I am sure the english will be worked out soon enough.

YOU CAN'T HAVE MANSLAUGHTER WITHOUT LAUGHTER

17. papillon

Indie Author

Might want to specify what kind of games. Is this Flash only? It doesn't actually say that on the game-dev or submit form anywhere.

18. Michael Flad

Indie Author

Thanks for the clarification - sounds way more reasonable now.

19. camadro

camadro New Member

The games can be Flash, Shockwave, or Java.

20. camadro

camadro New Member

We should have had you write the first one. Thanks