Forum Spam

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Stropp, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Stropp

Stropp New Member

There's been quite a bit of forum spam lately, including a fairly major attack on the indie business forum going on at the moment. Looks like that is been done by a bot.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

I thought, from years ago, there was some moderation of new members being done. Is this not happening anymore?

2. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

I thought there was too - I thought all "first" posts were being checked, but there's no way these could be mistaken for legitimate posts. There have been a lot over the last few weeks.

Are we without mods? Do we need some new people in admin to help get rid of the spammers?

3. Artinum

Original Member

I was intending to report the spammers, but found no means to do so. I'm not sure I've encountered any moderators here in a long time.

4. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You can report spam by clicking the "!" icon at the lower-left corner of each post (below the user name etc).

I've stopped wasting my time though as nobody ever seems to do anything about it any more.

5. rioka

rioka New Member

There were a bunch of them the past week I've been reporting and they get deleted eventually. I think they should get banned automatically from the get go but I wonder if the mods have that ability here? There's moderators and then there's super moderators who can ban.

[EDIT]
    Wow! 4 pages of spam. And it all from the same person.

On another note, you should make it so there isn't a time limit of how fast you can report spam. I had to wait 1 minute of time before I can report another spam post and it's a bother. ...Especially in cases like this. :\

#5 rioka, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  6. Desktop Gaming

You said a mouthful. When I find more than one and go to report it, it comes up saying I have to wait before I can do it again. Like I've nowt else to do but sit there waiting!

7. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Do the spammers also have to wait 1 minute before posting each of their successive spam postings? :)

8. Desktop Gaming

That LightImageResizer one has been here ages now and still nobody's bothered to ban it - it's still posting right now. It doesn't make the forum look good when newcomers arrive and the place is full of that crap.

9. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

This is really bad. It's getting hard to actually find the real posts amongst so many spam messages. It also won't help with google rank :(

This spammer should be banned, ASAP.

10. Applewood

If only the ignore button actually ignored people.

11. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

RIP indiegamer forum.

12. Desktop Gaming

Not sure I'd go as far as that but it certainly feels as if the weeds are being left to grow a little too tall lately...

13. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I just got the first email about spam this morning. Where is it?

14. Gary Preston

Original Member

Open the indie business forum, I doubt you'll need any additional help finding it ;)

15. rioka

rioka New Member

There's also one in the Dev & Distribution section under AnythingIndie thread.

16. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I think I killed it all now. Doesn't show for me anyway. Not that I'm meant to be moderating here anymore. But I guess I've picked over the bones of the mod system a bit more than others.

Basically the problem is that once over a certain number of posts, the admin frontend on the site gets harder (you have to then login as a mod and vb doesn't have any clear way of deleting banned user posts etc). Basically this bot caused a perfect storm of spam crap to happen at once.

Seriously, you should see the amount of spam this site gets, its staggering. I wonder if there's a global list of favourite spam attacks that indiegamer is at the top of.