For people is natural to work for free?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Zeno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Zeno

Zeno New Member

Seems there's people that search for programmers, artists, composers, sound engineer to work for them without give any guarantee to earn real money.

The passion is the main requirement to make good games BUT if you are SPENDING much of YOUR time and pushing yourself in your work this time in which purpose you trust much more? ^-^
    If you do things just for passion, you can't pretend to have a professional work because for this people must push themselves. Push yourself means work hard, and when you work hard also when you not feel you expect an economic return, or I am in wrong?

How do you feel to see your work discarded, refused? How do you feel to have still an empty pocket?

Yes, I'm talking like this because (as programmer) I've worked like a slave for a single project and after this my earns are 0.00$. I can't tell him my anger because he is magically gone away.
    I've also met people that think is natural to work for free, others that don't have any idea on how promote their products.

I know that after this nice outburst I've reduced my chances to find a good work, but I prefer to be honest with who write me for hire :)

Thanks for your time.

#1 Zeno, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. jaeeun

jaeeun New Member

Basically money is realistic factor that affects passion. Even though i asked help without guarantee any money, there should be contraction sooner or later. Especially project is going to be promising. Anyway that guy, dumped you, can't get help from anyone if he keeps doing such a bad behavior. Cheer up.

3. Zeno

Zeno New Member

"Even though i asked help without guarantee any money."

Here is your mistake.
    Even if you have a good idea, you have to guarantee FORE SURE money, is the basic thing that you can do for your slaves. If is revenue share, the scenario "all or nothing" can't exist. YOU MUST GIVE THE 100% ALWAYS.
    You can't pretend someone will spend hours of time just for make you a favour.
    There's also people that talk about revenue share for a work of many years. Really people spend years to earn nothing in meantime? I hope they don't..

"If you do things just for passion, you can't pretend to have a professional work because for this people must push themselves. Push yourself means work hard, and when you work hard also when you not feel you expect an economic return, or I am in wrong?"

#3 Zeno, Aug 16, 2017 at 8:33 AM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 8:45 AM
  4. jaeeun

jaeeun New Member

Im not disagree with you. I dont wanna push anyone without any benefit from it. Please dont mis understand me. In my case, project is very beginning stage and even I create that game as hobby for now. That's why i asked help. Maybe no one might be interested in. Participating or not is totally up to them not to me. But important point of what i said is if project going to be more commecial, there should be contraction about sharing benefit and dedication each other.

Im sorry about your situation i hope everything is fine with you.