Flash Game Development

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Frozen In Ice, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

I gather there is no other tool to develop Flash games but the product from Adobe? (Couldn't find the answer through the search function).

Thanks all, I'm just looking at the option.

2. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Write in actionscript 3 and use flashdevelop. All Free. Course its not a "tool" per se. You need some programming knowledge.

3. Frozen In Ice

No, actually that was the information I was looking for svero. Thanks for the help and now I can proceed. ;) Are these the only two folks use?

4. Frozen In Ice

Do you have a preferred link for actionscript svero?

5. oNyx

Original Member

Just head over to the releases sub-forum:
    http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/viewforum.php?f=11

Click the first topic (=the latest release) and there you can download the IDE and it also points you to the other pieces you need.

Very easy to use and setup. The IDE lacks quite a few things, but it's certainly usable.

Be also sure to grab the AS3 documentation while you're at it. Create a shortcut to that index.html file and you're set.

6. moedit

moedit New Member

You could also use haXe

The lack of documentation is a recurring complaint, though the Flash/AS3 API remains mostly the same; so you can rely on Adobe's doc.

7. svero

I would guess most flash games are in actionscript 2 or 3. AS3 is a lot nicer to use but requires Flash9 I believe. You can either use Flexbuilder (around 250$) or the link that Onyx posted for the free alternative. (You'll need the free flex sdk to work with that one as well) I think maybe flexbuilder is a bit easier to start with because it does more hand holding. Adobe has a free 60 day demo for that one.

8. svero

9. tafty

Original Member

10. Frozen In Ice

Thanks all. I will check all the links and suggestions you have provided. :)

11. Lord_Garland

Lord_Garland New Member

You can also try using http Sothink SWF Quicker.

http://www.sothink.com/product/swfquicker/

Fully supports flash player 7. There is supposed to be a big update that will allow it to support flash player 8 and 9.

Costs under 100 USD.

It is what I'm using anyway. I'm sure there are better apps for this.

12. Xlander

Xlander New Member

Another GUI one to try is Swish

It is about $150 and looks ok, tho I am only a few days into the free trial so have not made up my mind if it is any good or not.

FlashDevelop is great for the coding side of things.

13. Xlander

Xlander New Member

Does any one know of any more GUI type editors for Flash?
    One that supports ActionScript3 and does not cost $800?

I have FlashDevelop for the code and was trying to get a free/cheap solution to bashing out simple animations to use with it.

Swish does not seem to do ActionScript3 and I am having issues importing the Swish SWF into FlashDevelop.

14. bengarney

bengarney New Member

Flash animation is pretty complex to edit. I think if you want an editor for that, you're pretty much stuck with Flash from Adobe.

But why would you need that? Can't you do everything you need with the graphics object in Flash and some ingenuity?

15. Xlander

Xlander New Member

Well the reason I am looking for another editor is simply the Adobe Flash one is out of my budget.

Technically I could do all of the thing I wanted in FlashDevelop but some things are just quicker to do in a Graphical editor. Eg Drag text around the screen until it is in the spot I want vs updating an x,y compiling, viewing and going again until it is in the right spot.

16. tfernando

tfernando New Member

I use FlashDevelop/mxmlc.. to do something like place text I build a wireframe in GIMP and read my x,y's off manually with the cursor so I can code them in FD. I really don't think that costs me much time compared to how fast I'd do the same thing in Flash itself.

-TF

17. totor

totor New Member

you may use this tool : e-anim, it's a gpl java-ish flash animation editor. Very straightforward to use but i don't know if there is an english version. It can work with mtasc.

http://www.phildes.com/

t

18. oldschool

Original Member

I use flashdevelop.
    For animations I use Actionscript 3 Animated Sprite Engine Library from Adventures in Actionscript
    You define the frames of your sprite sheet in xml(demo provided) easy. I use Paint.Net to get the coordinates and away I go.
    There are tons of bells and whistles too.

The site isn't updated frequently but when it is, it's good.

Edit: Another animation library is here

#18 oldschool, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  19. Xlander

Xlander New Member

Thanks, that looks pretty helpful!

20. KNau

Original Member

Just out of curiosity, is HaXe the only Linux option for SWF creation?