First betarelease of 'nano' is out!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Bouncer, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Bouncer

Original Member

Our first game is finally in beta stage. After a lot of sweat and tears ;)
    It's not nearly fully featured yet, but it's already a pretty good multiplayer mayhem...

Would really like some comments or any suggestions of any kind. What would you like to see in it etc...

Check it out at www.bonebroke.com

Screen 1
    Screen 2
    Screen 3
    Screen 4

2. Cartman

Indie Author

Hi Bouncer,

Your screenshot links are not right, you might want to fix them. Nice looking game from the web site.

Edit: I see they are corrected now.

3. Bouncer

Original Member

You were just too fast! ;)

4. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

I've been looking forward to this.

5. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Yeah I have been waiting over a year for this one, checking it out now!

6. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

It's hard to actually get in and start a game :( The UI needs LOTS of work.....

7. Vorax

Original Member

Personally, I didn't find the UI bad, it's pretty much standard fair for an MP game.

The game is definetly cool, but without other players, there isn't much to do...get the bots in!

One complaint, turning with the mouse is to slow. (didn't check to see if it could be adjusted, if so, nm)

Looking forward to seeing more - Good stuff! :)

8. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

I didn't even manage to start a game, I got too confused with the UI... then it crashed my GFX card :(

Bouncer, get the update of Blitz3D, it's got some fixes that you might need.

9. Surrealix

Indie Author

Great Game!

This is one game I've been looking foward to playing, and it certainly didn't disappoint me :). It took a while to get a game started, but that was because of the number of options, not because things were confusing.

I like the style of it, although the slight gravity (or drift downwards, whatever it it) really annoyed me, mabye there's an option to turn it off? I didn't check.

Good job, and can't wait to play the final release :)

10. Bouncer

Original Member

Thanks for the comments. And people, if you try it out, please tell me if it crashes or you see gfx corruption... also report your machine specs. That would be really nice. Thanks.

Indiepath: I have the latest updates. Could you tell me your machine specs...
    There has been a couple of reports of what seems to be graphical corruption and crashing. I'll just have to try and find a machine where I can get this game to bug out... ;)

Retro64: I don't really know how I can get the UI a lot simpler than it is. This game is not meant to be "casual" level easy... it has a lot of options, but UI's can always be better and nicer to use. Do you have any suggestions? I'll try to make it simpler over time...

11. simonh

Indie Author

You could set up some default settings, so players can dive straight in. And you could have help messages somewhere to let people know exactly what everything does. I thought the UI was OK though.

As for the game, it's difficult to judge how it plays at this stage, but it looks lovely.

12. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Looking nice. I've too have been waiting this game to come out... (and it's always a pleasure to see more Finnish indie games as well - we are so low on game developers in this "arctic" country...)

13. DanDanger

Original Member

Ooooo this game looks like it might be great fun ^_^

But i could not actually start a game! I just could not figure out what i was ment to do in the front end :(

Maybe i missed something really obvious, or maybe im just being stupid.

14. chanon

Indie Author

We just tried out the game here (3 player deathmatch) and had a blast! It's fun because it's multiplayer. There were no problems encountered. (GF4 MX 4000, P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM)

The UI is a little confusing, but I managed to understand it. Maybe lay it out in a more logical way for ex. instead of scattering the options, lay it out from top to bottom. Currently the map is in the top right ... why not put it in the middle above the players.

Ex. (all in the midlle of the screen)

Map
    .... name of map [change button]
    Players
    1 ....
    2 ....
    Adjust Rules

[Begin Game button]

Buttons will make the UI more obvious.
    But of course the target market should be able to understand.

LAN support or a Match making service would be great for this game.

For the gameplay, we didn't try other modes (EDIT: I see now that the beta has only one mode) ... but just an idea is that it would be cool if there was a power up to upgrade the current weapon / make it more powerful. I know there are powerups that can be collected to change the type of weapon, but how about making each specific type more powerful? Could add some strategy to the game.

What are the batteries for?

And is there a way to gain health other than the health power up? ... Maybe the base of each player should have a healing effect on that player, so he can retreat to base if he's gonna die.

Anyways, fun game! And this is made using Blitz3D?? I thought it was C++ and OpenGL or something. If it is, then I am really going to consider Blitz3D for any 3d games I might do.

#14 chanon, Feb 1, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  15. DanDanger

Original Member

I figured out how to start a game eventually! Game looks fantastic!

Well done on finishing your first game ^_^

16. chanon

Indie Author

Cool... my own map!

Wow! I just tried creating a new map using nano editor. It worked the first time! Your editor looks very professional. Is this really Blitz3D !? Maybe you could write a postmortem about developing the game an about using Blitz3D. I'd love to read that.

17. Bouncer

Original Member

simonh: That's a great idea... I'll have to make a default config so you can just click play.

chanon: Thanks for the great tips to better the UI. I'll have to think what to do to make it simpler...
    And yes both the game and the editor are 100% blitz3d. Maybe I'll write a postmortem when I "finish" the game. If it's ever going to be finished... ;)

LAN / internet game is not possible due to complex bullet/object physics, or if possible at least too much work to develope...

You can get powered versions of many guns by collecting a higher level weapon powerup, but I see what you mean when you talk about enchancer-powerup. I might do that kind of booster..

You can load your health/ammo when hanging on to a battery!

18. Rory

Original Member

Default 1 is King !

Well done.
    I found the controls really nice and fun to use. I espescially like the camera zooming in when you get close to another player. :)

19. Grey Alien

Indie Author

as Chanon says, it took me a little while to see yo had to select a map in the top right, even though it was flashing. This is a totaly non-intuitive place to ahve it. I advise you change it seeing as so many people failed to even play!

20. AVataRR

Original Member

Hay! Steve was talking to me about this game. Looks very nice. ^_^