[Feedback] website compatibility test

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Jim Buck, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Please check out my company's website http://www.twitchythumbs.com for compatibility issues. It seems to work fine in IE6 and the latest FireFox.

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yeah, seems fine, but it takes a surprisingly long time to load. You've got some rather large animated images after all.

3. katok

Original Member

Works fine on Firefox, but loading takes a long time. Also interface is a little confusing.

4. Cartman

Indie Author

5. Ricardo C

Original Member

Works fine on Firefox 1.5.0.1 on PCLinuxOS, but man talk about style over substance... The interface is confusing, plus the nav buttons are located far enough at the bottom that I can't access them without scrolling down on my 1024x768 display, whose width is exceeded by the site.

#5 Ricardo C, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  6. mDEV

Original Member

Works ok on Firefox 1.5.0.1 WinXP
    But the whole thing seems too big for me, plus if I am not a console player I don't think I will find those nav buttons. The buttons are so tiny compared to the whole page size.

7. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Interesting HTML optimization/testing site. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I'd like to reduce these images a bit - they are 102k and 140k. What's the best software for reducing the images inside of an animated .gif? From another thread I was posting in, animated .gif support for already-existing animated .gifs is sorely lacking.

I would also like to address any confusion. I'm not an artist, so I am trying to do my best with what I have. (I don't have the original 3d source files that these images were generated from.) Any suggestions?

I'll have to look into the 1024x768 issue.. I thought it was created with that resolution in mind, but now I remember he had some trouble trying to keep it at that resolution.

Thanks for the comments - keep 'em coming! :)

8. Ricardo C

Original Member

I'm not trying to attack your skills :) The design IS stylish, and creative. It's just not functional.

If you really want to keep the gamepad interface, why not resize it a bit so that it fits withing the average viewable area when browsing on a 1024x768 system, which would be about 1000x640 or so?

9. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Oh, I didn't think you were attacking me. By "trying to do my best with what I have", I only meant that I didn't have the original source files (3d models) that these images were rendered from. :) (Someone else created this website for me.)

I changed the file sizes of the logo on the home page as well as the non-animating hand images. I realized I *do* have the animating hands as separate .jpg files. Now, I have to see if I can nail down decent software for recombining them into an animation but not as a whole "flip book".. but where I can paste just the moving part on top of the previous image.

I'll also see about resizing to be 1000x640-friendly.

10. Sillysoft

Indie Author

You website suffers from a usability flaw: I am forced to mouse around a bunch before I know what pages are available for me to go to. A better design would display all the options to me, without forcing me to reveal them.

11. Jim Buck

Indie Author

You're right about the usability. It was a definite concern of mine when putting it online. I definitely want to address that as best as I can. I had hoped that "twitch your thumbs over the buttons below" would remedy that. Before that, there was just a fake loading bar to more look console-y and said "press start to continue".. I thought that was WAY too confusing, but it's still not 100% fixed even with my replacement of this loading bar with that text.

After getting animated .gifs working in GIMP, I realize that the original animations must have used some tool that figured out the difference between two successive frames and only added in the changing pixels. Does anyone know of such a tool?

12. RohoMech

Original Member

Jim, its a pretty cool idea, the website theme tying into your company's name, but I think the execution could use some...revision.

The useability comments about having to mouse-over menu buttons to see the full text and the fact that the site requires a large resolution are pretty big concerns I'd say.

If possible, it'd be neat to see the site resize better then it does now, because even users with higher resolutions might not be surfing the web with their browser maximized. If possible try to get the gamepad on the screen (since that is the primary nav) for all the resolutions) or if that's not going to happen, you could add a nav bar to the top of the site with the same options as the gamepad.

Also, I really like the twitchy thumbs animation, but it was a bit of a letdown seeing pages just load instead of some sorta fade-in animation or something, like a tv changing channels or a game loading a level.

I also noticed you didn't use any sound :) That's probablly a good idea..hehe

Anyways, good luck with the redesign, like I said before, its a cool idea, pretty unique I'd have to say, I think with some revision and some interface revamping it could turn out to be a slick site.

13. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Yeah, after I get from GDC, I'll give the layout a bit of an overhaul to help optimize the file size of the graphics, provide a better viewing for lower/higher resolutions, and make it more obvious on what to do for navigation.

Sounds is almost never a good idea. :)

14. madhat

Original Member

okay

firefox 1.5.01
    works fine, but i think you need to throw more color or graphics.
    when i opened it (in windowed browser) the hand interface is not aligned to the main screen.:)

15. Game Designer

Original Member

Seems to work fine in Safari and Firefox on the Mac, but it is a little wide. I have to scroll horizontally on the iBook.
    ________
    Volcano vaporizer reviews

#15 Game Designer, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  16. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Yeah, I have to work on the wideness of it.

Do you have a screenshot of this? I'd like to fix little annoyances like this.

17. GREENhERMIT

Original Member