Feedback Request: Pingo Pango

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by stanchat, Oct 25, 2005.

1. stanchat

Indie Author

2. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

Could be fun... I almost like it...

First - WHAT HAS THAT BIRD BEEN EATING?!? :eek:

- Experiment with allowing the player to jump using the right mouse button. Would be a good way to avoid doggie doo and other stuff you don't want to grab yet.

- Do you have a creature that bursts the boxes later in the game? Would put pressure on the player by releasing more balloons than s/he wants to deal with.

- Food bonus sprites don't look as nice as the rest of the game.

- Invincibility power-up should change how the player character looks. Maybe they could glow.

- The bird with the spastic colon is funny - but it's overused. It's like there's a Sopwith Camel sputtering across the screen every level. Same with the dog who drops little piles every other step. :p

- The bird flies upside down? Neat trick... ;)

All that from 6-7 minutes of gameplay.

3. gusso

Original Member

Didnt try the game but watching the screenies (lvl_screen0008.png) that wooden plank texture sounds familiar to me.

4. Sharpfish

Original Member

MY only comment about the textures (or rather the sprites) is that the wood mentioned above is a realistic texture and you have other wooden crates in the game that are cartoon style. The mix of them seems akward on first glance. Not a massive thing but that throws consistency into doubt.

5. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

Oops... Upon a second look I see you're already doing this. :eek: Maybe make it more obvious?

6. delsydsoftware

Original Member

I played this for a while(5 levels and the stages in between), and I see some issues.

-There is an uncomfortable pause before the "Ball inflation" event.
    -The text that comes up for each powerup seems too big. It blocks that action, especially when there are yellow balls on the board.
    -Jumping would be nice
    -Dog and bird issues mentioned above-less fiber in their diet, methinks. :)
    -The music isn't balanced right. The piano sound is too loud---it hides the little melody that you have going in the background. When I turned up the volume to hear the melody, the piano was blaring. If you can balance out that one instrument, it will bring out more of the song. The piano part was so loud that I didn't even realize that there was a melody until I turned the volume up some more.
    -When the game starts, it does a screenmode change, then changes to the desktop for the nag screen, and then it changes again. Try to make the nag screen come up before the screen mode change. It seems a bit awkward.

Now, on to the good things: :)

-The graphics are very well done. It has a very cute style that I really like
    -The sparkle effects on the ball are nice
    -The menu system is laid out very well.
    -The music, if the volume is balanced correctly, fits the overall theme of the game very well.
    -Sound effects are nice and to the point.
    -The resume feature is a very nice touch, as is the fact that you pull the user's name automatically.

All in all, it could be a lot of fun with some refining.

Chris

7. maksum

Indie Author

Sweet! Buster Brothers! You know what, there are a LOT of great games of yester-year that could be quite successful if they were brought back. A lot of you guys are selecting prime examples and doing great things with them.

One example is Space Taxi 2. This could be quite fun too.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

Mike

8. stanchat

Indie Author

Jumping has been enabled

Thanks for all the feedback. I will try to see if I can fit some of this stuff in before we release it.

As far as jumping goes

Ooops..

I always had jumping in the game but in the course of testing I disabled it and forget to enable. I also tweaked the bird and dog eating habits so let me know if they have better dietary habits ;) . Also the wooden game panel has been changed to a blue-red panel.

Updated Demo (8.8 MB)

The right-mouse makes the player jump

9. delsydsoftware

Original Member

There's a pretty serious memory leak in this game, I found out. I tried the new version. I play up until level 5 stage 5. Near the end of that stage, when I fired my gun, there was a 4-5 second pause, and then the game would resume. The next time, it was a longer pause. I brought up Task manager, and it's memory usage was 317mb and climbing. The 3rd time I tried to shoot, it completely locked up with a total memory usage of 455mb.

Chris

10. stanchat

Indie Author

I'll take a look and see if I can re-produce it on my machines.

Did you get a chance to try the jumping action yet?

11. delsydsoftware

Original Member

Yep, the jumping works very well. The dog and bird are still a -bit- poop-heavy, but it's an improvement. :)

Edit: Memory usage seems to jump up after each board is completed. I hope that helps out. :)

#11 delsydsoftware, Oct 25, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  12. Curiosoft

Indie Author

Hi,

I played the game. Here's the feedback:
    1) I think it would be nice (but not necessary) to have a progress bar when the initial screen loads up.

2) When it did switch over to the game finally....I got this garbled screen for a little while...and then the main menu showed up. I think I had to click randomly to get to the main menu screen (the screen with the "play", etc.)

3) I feel that the jump option should be mentioned when you start the first level...as kind of a mini-tutorial. I did check the help...but if I was soncidering buing this game....I would bail out as soon as I didn't know what to do. There are no quick instructions before the first level; adding them would be nice.

4) The game is nice and relaxing.

5) I wish the controls were more smooth. It felt kind of blocky when I moved around...and shot things. It feels too stiff, IMO.

6) I think the artwork could be better; a cartoony style would rock.

The game holds promise...look forward to the final release.

Later,
    Curiosoft

13. simonbowerbank

Original Member

For New_pop2.wav reduce 1000Hz by about 10dB. Whenever i pop a baloon it feels like someone is ramming a sharp object through my ears.

Also, i found it insanely easy due to the amount of powerups that drop, maybe reduce them a bit. I finished each stage in about 15 seconds

#13 simonbowerbank, Oct 26, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  14. stanchat

Indie Author

New Update Available

New Update (8.9 MB)

New Features:

1. Addressed screen mode changes on game load. I have limited to once the game starts.
    2. At the beginning of level 1 stage 1 the help screen is loaded automatically to get players familar with the objectives and rules of the game
    3. Added some visual help to the main game panel to let user know how to jump and shoot.
    4. Added sound effects for Jumping and Landing
    5. Added subtle dust effect as player lands
    6. Added subtle screen shake as player lands