Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by KNau, Mar 30, 2005.

1. KNau

Original Member

Marketing Hyperbole
    Piggy Banker is a new, challenging puzzle game with cute graphics and great music that the whole family will enjoy.

Cash in coins by making combos of the same denominations before they reach the bottom of the screen! A non-violent game that anyone can play - if you know how to count your pocket change then you know how to play Piggy Banker!

Developer's Note
    This is the first beta of my new puzzle game aimed at testing just the “Survival Modeâ€￾ game option for now. This is the endless challenge mode where the coins will continuously drop with increasing speed until they reach the bottom of the screen ending the game. This is one of those "made it for my girlfriend" games so I will be interested to see how it plays for other people.

To play, click on START GAME and then select SURVIVAL MODE. There’s a brief tutorial screen and then the game will begin.

Piggy Banker defaults to fullscreen with mouse control but these can be changed in the Options menu.

Known Issues:
    - There is only in-game music at the moment, no sound effects
    - Not all graphics have been finalized

Feedback?
    Any and all feedback is appreciated at this point. I’d specifically like to know how long you manage to last when playing the challenge mode and how the game feels in terms of control and balance. Also, I’m having a heck of a time trying to find suitable "happy puzzle" style sound effects. Any suggestions in the sound department are appreciated!

Screenshots
    http://www.mybrainplay.com/pb_01.jpg
    http://www.mybrainplay.com/pb_02.jpg
    http://www.mybrainplay.com/pb_03.jpg

Download
    3.53MB installer file
    http://www.mybrainplay.com/beta_dl/pb_beta.exe

Thanks!

2. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Can you believe we have a half-finished project called Piggybank which is almost exactly the game you made?

Our pig was nicer though :)

3. KNau

Original Member

LOL, are you kidding me?!

4. ggambett

Not at all. There's some proof :) I think we got a whole new Hamsterball/Gerball situation here...

#4 ggambett, Mar 30, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  5. KNau

Original Member

Yeah, that's typical of my luck, lol. Actually there should be enough differences in our games despite the overall similarity of the piggy bank theme. While I am exploring the possibility of powerup coins I for sure won't be doing any negative powerups like glue and such that effect the player's movement. And our story modes are probably different, I'm using a business "corporate ladder" theme.

That's funny. Probably another reason for me to run screaming from the casual games market - it's all either "been done" or "in the process of being done".

6. ggambett

Don't worry too much about it. For us, it's currently in "hold/abandoned" status, we're about to post a beta of another game we're finishing, and we know what's our next one (and it's probably not Piggybank)

7. Martoon

Original Member

Nice work! I've been waiting for someone to do a decent Money Puzzle Exchanger remake, and this one's very nice.

I've spent a fair amount of time playing MPE, so I have that bias that players have where it feels "wrong" when someone else's version of a game behaves differently from what they're used to. For example, I feel crippled not having seperate "grab" and "shoot" buttons, because I can't grab several stacks of the same type coin and pile them all together. But I realize that the simpler one-button interface is much better for a casual game, and it just results in a different type of strategy. And I'm sure the majority of your audience won't have played MPE, so they won't have any preconceptions.

The one rule that I think should be carried over from MPE is chaining combos. For example, if I have a stack of four 10's, and I drop two 5's on them, in MPE the 5's will collapse into a 10, then the resulting five 10's will collapse into a 50, giving me a bonus. Piggy Banker doesn't do this. I think doing it adds a lot of strategic depth, and I can't see any reason for not doing it (since players aren't required to do it, and it doesn't complicate the interface at all).

I think the difficulty might ramp a little too quickly for most casual players. I lasted for around 3:30, but I suspect a casual player who's never played MPE would be dead pretty quick playing this for the first time. Or is challenge mode intended for players that have finished (or at least partly finished) story mode?

8. stan

Original Member Indie Author

Works fine on my Asus A6BG16 laptop (Pentium-M 1.6GHz, 512MB, Radeon Mobility 9700 64MB, XP SP2).

The music doesn't seem to really fit the game to me, but that's a minor point I guess.

I found the game a bit hard for a first level. I played twice and managed to last around 1 min 40 s each time. I was playing with the touchpad though, which made things more difficult.

The tutorial didn't seem entirely clear to me, though I can't tell you why... Sorry.

The GUI looks effective. BTW, this laptop has a 16:10 screen, so the gfx in fullscreen are stretched horizontaly; but that looks ok.

(Note that, as most developpers on this board, I don't particularly like this type of games :) )

#8 stan, Mar 30, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  9. maksum

Indie Author

I really like the game. I love the arcade/mind-game hybrid aspect. These types of games are right up my alley. I hope you experience success with this.

Mike

10. Pyabo

Original Member

...isn't this inevitible when you're cloning a game to begin with? :D

11. KNau

Original Member

Pyabo, very true!

Thank-you for the comments. I will be replacing the "how to play" pages with an interactive tutorial, so hopefully that will clear up confusion for players.

The reason I didn't have the "chaining" effect is because in the story mode your goal is to collect Piggy Coins. The normal way to make piggy coins is to cash in two 500 coins (Piggy Coin is basically a 1000 point coin) but you can also create a piggy coin by achieving a "Piggy Combo", which is by comboing together 4 more coins than are needed to achieve the next value up. For example, it takes five 1 value coins to combo up to a 5 value coin, but if you combo together nine 1 value coins it will instantly make a piggy coin instead. This way you can bypass having to cash all the way up to 500-value coins.

I was hoping to include this second way of making coins so that players had more than one way to achieve their level quota quickly, but if it is causing confusion then maybe I will just have the one method and add the "chain" effect.

Also, this is the challenge mode, which I figured should be harder than the regular game. By design I figured anyone should last at least 2 - 3 minutes but that even hardcore players should be cut off at about 8 - 10 minutes. I can play up to about 8 minutes and my girlfriend can now play until about 4 minutes. My assumption was that challenge modes were just for a quick 5 minute game break. Is that wrong?

I will play with the difficulty level a little and see how coin chains will work and hopefully have a test of the story mode for next week. Thanks again!

#11 KNau, Mar 31, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005