[Feedback] Ghost Hunter Inc. (alpha demo)

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Aisle5, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Aisle5

Indie Author

Hi everyone,
    We have just finished the alpha release of our game, Ghost Hunter Inc. This is our 1st game and we would greatly any feedback that you have.

Type of game: "Hidden Object" game

Premise: You work for a company called Ghost Hunter Inc and you are sent on an assignment to investigate a haunting. You must determine if the haunting is real or a hoax.

Here is a link to the website where you can download the alpha demo...

http://www.aisle5games.com

Here a some screenshots...

http://www.aisle5games.com/images/screenshots/Billiards.jpg

http://www.aisle5games.com/images/screenshots/Entry_Hall.jpg

http://www.aisle5games.com/images/screenshots/Carriage_House.jpg

The installer for the game is not complete yet. There are instructions on the website listed above on how to install the game.

Thanks!

Mike Wright
    Aisle 5 Games

2. heroTop

Original Member

Nice!

So when's it coming out? You have any luck finding distribution for it yet?

3. Aisle5

Indie Author

We hope to have a complete game in 3 weeks. There will be 15 levels in all. The demo only had the first 2 levels. We have not looked into distribution yet. We are planning on submitting to the main portals and also selling from our website. Any thoughts on other distributioin ideas?

4. Kaos

Original Member

wow looking good, so far I have bought like 6 games of this genre. And what I have tried looks like a winner!

be sure to check out the portals thread for distribution.

5. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Yes, you should look at portals distribution.

JC

6. me_36

me_36 New Member

Translation ?

Hello Aisle5,

While I was checking out the game, my girlfriend was
    watching me and she was very excited about it.
    When I translated the items she found them before
    I did!

But .. she needs a translation (to Dutch) for the items.

I am not saying that it will generate more money, but
    it could earn you something when you translate it....

Technically I didn't found a problem with it and I liked
    the fact that when my girlfriend started a new game
    with her name that she had to find different items than
    I did!

Good job!

Regards from

M.E.

7. Aisle5

Indie Author

Wow, I sure appreciate all the positive feedback from people that have tried the demo. Being a first time game developer, I was actually worried that the game would look and play like an amatuer made it. But the feedback we have received from this forum and from family and friends have been pretty positive. This game was made by my wife and myself and we've tried really hard to make it as professional as we can.

M.E., the idea of translation to Dutch (or any language) has crossed my mind. I have concerns about translating all the different objects that are hidden in the scenes. I have chosen objects that are familiar to myself thinking that they would also be familiar to others. However, do you think the objects will translate to other cultures? I'm not sure every culture uses something like a cheese grater so if they had to search for it, it may be frustrating to them. I'm probably just over thinking it. Most of the items are pretty basic everyday items (I think).

8. jcottier

jcottier New Member

> However, do you think the objects will translate to other cultures?

You are thinking too much ;-)

Well, we are all watching the same TV crap, surfing the same internet....

JC

9. Aisle5

Indie Author

Yep, I agree. I was overthinking it. Especially when I just have to worry about finishing the game for a U.S. release.

I've had the following input from various people that have tested the game and would like to know if anyone here in the forums agrees or disagrees with it.

1. Some people thought the rooms were too dark

2. Not enough time on the clock to find all the objects in the room

3. The hint feature does not have enough time. Currently it is set for 15 seconds and then the hint cursor goes away. I am thinking of setting it to 60 seconds.

10. Kaos

Original Member

Ah I think 60 sec may be a bit long, considering the time frame for the game.

Why not start out with 60 sec, and then decrease the amount of time you get for each hint, as you use hint over and over. This would add a new level of challenge to the game, as from my experience, some of these games are too easy, when I can beat them in a single weekend.

11. me_36

me_36 New Member

Translation offer

Hi Aisle5,

Definitely no culture problem, only a word problem. I never new a barbell was a kind of lifting-exercise thingy. We call it a ' Halter ' which I thought was english in the first place ... ha ha ha

If you want a Dutch translation, I will do it for you if we get a copy for free :D . Just send the list that needs to be translated :)

Regards from

M.E.

12. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

Maybe you could include the screenshots as links from your main page, use the same color scheme for the instruction page as your main page and include a blurb about the game on the main page. This should take you little time but pay back in that ppl who stumble on your site won't have the choice to either install or leave. They will have a bit of info and it might decide them to try the game.
    It's never too early to start attracting a fan base.

13. Maupin

Original Member

I tried it, and enjoyed going through several rooms. Some of the objects are fiendishly hidden or blended into their surroundings. I used up four hints looking for the spool of thread. (I'd recommend 30 seconds per hint.)

I'm not sure how long a game like this would hold my attention. It didn't seem clear that there was any purpose to looking for the objects. I went through four rooms (maybe five) and then the game revealed there was a suspect. I think if there was a stronger tie between the objects and the determination of if the house was haunted and if so, who by, then the gameplay would be greatly improved.

The graphics are well done, though objects' artistic styles occasionally mismatch (ideally each room would look like a photograph of a cluttered room). The sounds and music are low key, but effectively creepy. The game looks promising so far! Good job!

14. Aisle5

Indie Author

Thanks for the advice. I've just updated the website per your suggestions and it flows a lot better now.

Thanks for the offer. We will defintely consider it when we get to that point. Is there any data on the web about which languages are the most profitable to translate a game into?

15. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Trouble with translating is you could end up with support requests in languages you cannot understand.

My Dad plays these games a lot and he often has to think 'american'. A pacifier in the US is a dummy in the uk. There's quite a few of these differences but we do have some experience thanks to watching so many US films. It's still best to avoid them if it's possible.

16. Kaos

Original Member

I hope all is going well with this.

Seems to be the most popular genre of game this year